Topic

How cold can you go with this gear?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) How cold can you go with this gear?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    M L
    BPL Member

@herzzreh

So… theoretically speaking, how cold can you go if you put everything on and are just sitting around camp?

Lightweight merino baselayer
    R1
    Ultralight down jacket (85g of fill)
    Wind shirt

Bean
    BPL Member

@stupendous-2

Locale: California

With similar layers (but with beanie on) while sitting still, and if there is any decent gust of wind, I'm usually starting to get miserable at around 30F.

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

0-10F, because I'd wrap in my sleeping bag under my wind shirt. :)

About 25F otherwise.

Chad “Stick” Poindexter
    BPL Member

@stick

Locale: Southeast USA

I have worn my Cap 2 long sleeve, R1 pullover, MB UL Down Inner Parka and a hard shell and been fine to temps in the low teens. Of course this was with a bogin and gloves also…

Nathan Stuart

@forest-2

Locale: Hunter Valley - Australia

I'd be fine at about About 25°F, maybe 20°F but that would vary on how long for, weather etc.

But ontop of your torso layers I would wear some merino long johns, wind/rain shell pants, decent dry socks. I'd have this stuff anyway on a trip forcast below freezing.

And a good beanie for sure.

chris Mcfarland

@pecos

Locale: baba yaga's porch

If you want to know about clothing warmth and you have a minute there is the best clothing thread ever. it is long and full of good info using the exact examples you give and is one of the reasons i'm a member.

(edited to fix link)

Greg F
    BPL Member

@gregf

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Somewhere around 10f as long as you have a hood or touque and some mitts and are reasonably sheltered from the wind

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I would say 30-ish too, but wind, humidity, sunlight, etc make a difference. Bottom layers, hat, and gloves count more as it gets colder. Definitely agree on wrapping my sleeping bag around me, but if I've had something to eat, I would just crawl in the tent and sleeping bag and be cozy. Waking up on a cold morning would find me wrapped in my sleeping bag and hot liquids at hand.

If I used a quilt, I would add a snap or velcro to make a simple cape for such times. For that matter, the Jacks-r-Better head-hole-serape-poncho trick makes a lot of sense to me. If you are just going wear your insulation in camp, why carry both a jacket and a thick down quilt? Leave "fashion" in the closet at home!

Tjaard Breeuwer
    BPL Member

@tjaard

Locale: Minnesota, USA

I would wear that in camp, in the dark, only above 40 F. If it is windy and damp, then maybe 50F. If it is sunny and dry, and maybe I'm not sitting around to long, just around freezing.

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

I was OK in camp with the equivalent of that in the low 20's with modest wind. The jacket was a Montbell Thermawrap rather than down. However, I was also wearing a fleece balaclava, a Smartwool headband (which I'd been wearing while hiking), fleece gloves and Capilene 4 baselayer bottoms (the baselayer top, used as my hiking shirt, was Cap 2). I also put on my rain jacket and pants over everything else which helped significantly, especially the hood (no hood on my wind shirt).

After that experience I switched to Smartwool liner gloves. I kept having to take my fleece gloves off to light my stove, manipulate the tent zipper and other such chores, and gloves definitely don't keep hands warm when not being worn!

M L
    BPL Member

@herzzreh

"I would wear that in camp, in the dark, only above 40 F. If it is windy and damp, then maybe 50F. If it is sunny and dry, and maybe I'm not sitting around to long, just around freezing."

Tjaard,

How come? This is quite radical from what everyone else is posting…

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Assuming nylon hiking pants in no to modest wind + a polarbuff for extra warmth around the head that would have be cozy to below 20F provided I was standing / moving a bit rather than just sitting on say a cold slab of granite. In fact, I am happy down to 20F with my WM Flash Vest rather than a jacket.

Keep in mind, as people's responses have been varied here, that different people have different comfort ranges. There are a severa threads started by Richard on this site which I reference in my recommended insulated clothing that have some great charts for the "average" person. Find something you own that is one the chart, go outside when it starts to get cold and sit around. Figure out what temp its good for you, and now you know how to adjust the chart for your physiology.

Also remember that how much you have had to drink, eat, and how tired your are effects this. One of the coldest nights in my life the temp was just 50F. It was at the end of a long day where I didn't eat or drink enough. I felt cold even though I was
    wearing clothing that I normally find in down to 20F.

–Mark

Kimberly Wersal
    BPL Member

@kwersal

Locale: Western Colorado

I'm with Tjaard– I'd be okay in the 40's, but any colder than that and I would be cold pretty quickly if I was just sitting around in camp. Moving around, I would probably be okay in the 20's. Sitting–no.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools