Topic

Boots for Continued Walking in Sand

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Boots for Continued Walking in Sand

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Veronica Raj

@theveronica

Hello there, I recently found a thread related to this in your forums that is about two years old so I wanted to throw this out to you all and see if I got anything new back.

I'm a volunteer at a therapeutic horseback riding organization and I have to walk (mostly, some occasionally running/"trotting") in several inches of sand for periods of about 45 minutes at a time. I'm currently using some North Face hiking boots that I picked up on sale several years back, but am looking for an upgrade because my feet are KILLING me. I only do this a few times a week right now but I'd like to go more often and for longer periods of time.

I may have plantar fasciitis, as my feet cramp often and for several days after volunteering they hurt – mostly in the morning but the stretched muscle feeling does continue for several hours if not longer. I'm also quite a bit overweight, but it's difficult to exercise a lot with this kind of pain.

If anyone knows of any shoes that are themselves somewhat therapeutic and also can hold up to this kind of activity I would be overjoyed if you could help me out. The sand is somewhat deep so I think it would be best if the shoe were a boot, it's very hot most of the time here in Oklahoma and my feet usually feel hot even if it isn't, and I think that too much tread, like on my North Face, actually makes it more difficult because the sand clumps up in the treads and bogs me down even further.

Thanks again. I know this isn't the perfect forum for this conversation, but I can't find too much specific help for this and it sounds like you guys know shoes. Oh, I don't know how much it matters, but I'm female.

John Almond

@flrider

Locale: The Southeast

I've done up to 30-mile days (wound up with bleeding blisters on that one, but that's 'cause I didn't take care of a pair of hot spots that developed around mile 22; 20 miles and below, I've not had a problem) with knockoff Keen-style sandals–the ones with the toe box protector.

They work well in sandy Florida, since they let any sand that gets in right back out. Now, pebbles and twigs suck a lot when they get in; they tend to cluster at the toe and it's a pain to get them out. But, for sand, the sandals work well. And they dry as quickly as anything I've worn yet.

As always, make sure that the shoe fits your foot before going out in it! Personally, I have a wide & tall ball on my foot (particularly tall at the edges compared to most lasts) and a narrow heel. That means that I have to search far and wide for shoes that have enough vertical and horizontal space in the toe box usually.

So, try on a few pairs at the local shoe store before deciding.

Ben H.
    BPL Member

@bzhayes

Locale: No. Alabama

Go to a good shoe store where they will analyze your walk and get a good pair of shoes (runner/trail runners) that fit your feet well. Then get some dirty girl gaiters to keep the sand out of your shoes:

http://www.dirtygirlgaiters.com/

High top shoes on sand sounds like a horrible idea. That is bound to kill your feet. I see lots of people run on the beach here in So Cal, I've seen anyone do it in boots.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Sounds like you are using muscles that aren't used to that sort of stretching and motion. I doubt the the style of boot will help much as long as you are getting good support— other than keeping the sand out. It's kind of like walking barefoot when you care used to shoes, and you need to develop those body parts to the job. I've hiked in dunes and loose sand and it is a workout.

What are the other volunteers wearing? Their experiences?

Do see a physical therapist to help with impending fasciitis. You don't want to get that, believe me. A good PT will show you the stretches and other cures for your sore muscles and tendons.

Andy Jarman

@andyjarman

Locale: Edge of the World

I live in Western Australia, its so hot we live on the beach six months of the year, finding shoes that dry quickly but dont let the sand in is a common dilema. I homed in on Inov-8 X-talons, the heaviest ones, because they have a tight weave mesh on top, but I've read about how narrow the fitting is, I'm going to buy some gaiters that cover the whole top of the shoe. This will give me the option of any shoe – without restricting me to those without the mesh tops. http://www.raidlight.com/boutique/shoes/2698-protect-fit-u-protection-mpu.html

Andy Jarman

@andyjarman

Locale: Edge of the World

Anyone tried these?

Saucony Men's Progrid Razor 2.0 Trail Running Shoe

Currently $120 on Amazon – bit dorky looking, but they should do the trick!?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools