Topic

Donner Pass day hike / camping

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Donner Pass day hike / camping

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Peter Bakwin
    BPL Member

@pbakwin

Driving over Donner & looking to stretch the legs by hiking/running along the PCT for a couple hours. My question: Is there someplace nearby I can sleep in my car and not get bothered?

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I've stopped at the Donner Summit rest area on I-80. That is also where the truckers stop. Note that this is a few miles from Donner Pass on old U.S.40, which is a few miles from the original Donner Pass where the Donner party actually crossed.

Of course, the Donner party didn't have any 18-wheelers to park overnight.

I do not recommend stopping at Donner Lake. I've been hassled by the local cops there.

–B.G.–

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

You might be able to sleep close to the FS office, a little east of Rainbow Lodge on old Hwy 40, in the area where bpers park to head up to Loch Leven Lakes. Can't remember the name of the FS office there. Maybe Bob will recall.
    Duane

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

There is the Hampshire Rocks Campground near the Big Bend exit off I-80. That's pretty close to Rainbow Lodge. It is Tahoe National Forest.

–B.G.–

Brian Johns
    BPL Member

@bcutlerj

Locale: NorCal

Us about 4 miles away. Easy to get a reservation. Then drive to trailhead – you can park there for overnights too. And hike south through Squaw and sugar bowl area along squaw creek. Great 10 miles out and back, look for the railroad tunnels by using trail and fire roads to walk around my. Judah – or is it Lincoln – great loop for day or overnight. A few food trip reports with pics online. Link:

http://motherlode.sierraclub.org/SierraNevada/recreation/tunnels.pdf

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools