Topic

The Hewlett fire in Colorado

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion The Hewlett fire in Colorado

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

I just saw this in the news:

"According to a news release from the U.S. Attorney's Office in Colorado, Weber was camping on the Hewlett Gulch Trail and used an alcohol-fueled stove, which started the fire on May 14. The stove was a small, backpacking-style stove.

"He turned away for a quick moment," U.S. Attorney's spokesman Jeff Dorschner said, "and when he turned back, he noticed there was a fire."

Just a reminder to keep an eye on where you set up your kitchen and monitor your cooking at all times (seems like common sense, but as a friend of mine once said "common sense isn't)

http://www.timescall.com/ci_20654312/hewlett-fire-near-fort-collins-at-7-673?source=most_emailed

Jeff McWilliams
    BPL Member

@jjmcwill

Locale: Midwest

A fire caused by an alcohol stove?

Bummer.

I read here and elsewhere about bans along portions of the PCT due to previous fire incidents.

I really like my alcohol burners for their light weight and simplicity.

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

Those who don't have common sense need training on how to…

1.)Find as level an area as possible to set up the stove.

2.)Clear the area of any "tinder" where you are going to be using your stove.

3.)A watched pot never boils but an un-watched stove is a fire waiting to happen.

4.)Be prepared with water and sand or dirt to smother any accidentally ignited
    material.
    (See rule number 2)

5.)When you are finished make sure that your cooking fire or stove is cool and
    extinguished.

FWIW Alcohol stoves are not the enemy here. Accidental fires from cooking in camp can happen equally as much with wood fires, wood stoves, canister stoves and alcohol stoves.

Party On,

Newton

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools