Topic

Epiphanies

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Epiphanies

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Jack Elliott

@jackelliott

Locale: Bend, Oregon, USA

I took a couple pieces of new gear out for a test run this last weekend.

I guess I learned something:

1. Instead of taking my WM Ultralight (ca. 2003) sleeping bag, I brought a new Nunatak Alpinist quilt. It never made sense to me to pack a full-surround bag when the part under me was squished. The idea of a quilt makes sense. And instead of bringing my old Thermalight self inflat-o 3/4-length mattress, I bought and brought a new Neoair Large mattress. I am a side-sleeper and am sick and tired of having my hips shoved upwards by the ground 1'' under the mattress.

But I was cold, and woke up several times in the night. And it wasn't even that cold a night, maybe the lower 40s F.

In my old trad backpacking days I would have just planned to pack a heavier bag for the next go-round.

But this time I thought, "probably 40% of that large Neoair mattress was not covered by any insulation and may have been losing heat to the perfectly clear and arid sky above me, thus sucking heat out of my body."

Having found the 2-1/2'' thickness of the Neoair to be comfortable for my hips, I had realized that instead of bringing a heavier bag next time, I should just take a shorter mattress. After all, my backpack had been idling all night long without contributing anything. Every bit as useless as a teenaged son. So I figured it might as well be put to use under my feet to keep them warm.

This thought was epiphanitic because in my Olde Trad(e) days I would have just brought the heavier bag.

(Note that this theory hinges on the assumption that I was cold because the mattress was too large and much of it was exposed to the Depths of Cold Space and was losing heat, which heat came from Yrs. Trly. The test will be the next hike.)

2. To help alleviate pain after hiking in this post-surgery right ankle, my physical therapist recommended that I wear a compression sock; this to keep things nice and tight. For some odd reason I have been wearing compression socks, at 33 grams apiece, on both legs. Probably to preserve bilateral symmetry or something.

The epiphany here is that I only need ankle strapping on one side. Bring a lighter sock for the other.

Duh.

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

Funny… I'm doing almost exactly the opposite.

My pack under my legs sux! Tired of it. (i use Neo also)
    Getting two Larges (to couple for sleeping with my lovely wife.

I have realized that my legs were always the coldest part of me. I have been sleeping in my rain pants and it helps. But to push it to the limit I got some Neoplume pants. MMMM! I stay warm cooking or whatever… hanging around; and then I can get the full use of my schlepping bag. (for a little cross-threading)

So:

20oz Marmot Atom
    11oz OR Foray pants M
    15oz OR Neoplume pants M

46oz (2.8lbs/ 1.3k) for SB, insulation and rainshell pants.

Take from it what you want… I can get to about 30F with similar system on top

(I sleep cold BTW)

Little drift there sorry…
    I want to get the large Neo. Its just super comfy to have all that room, and it's worth it to me these days. I guess all this is to say "pants! dont deny wearing pants! They cover your legs." :)

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools