Topic

Hilleberg Tent thread

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Hilleberg Tent thread

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 862 total)
  • Author
    Doug Smith
    BPL Member

@jedi5150

Locale: Central CA

Hello all, after buying my first Hilleberg tent, the Tarra, I'm a huge fan of the brand. I'd like to get a thread going for people to chime in about their likes and dislikes of different Hilleberg models, incluing photos. While there are a decent number of reviews of these tents on youtube, etc., I've noticed that many are pretty lacking at showing the interiors of the tents. I think this is a shame, since inside the tent is where you spend most of your tent-related time.

I'd particularly love to hear comparisons of the Jannu and Nammatj 2, as one of these will likely be my next backpacking tent (solo plus pooch). Nobody has interior photos of either of these tents (at least that I can find).

I'll start off with the Tarra:

The Tarra is a hybrid tunnel/ dome, self-supporting 2 person, all season tent. The reason Hilleberg calls it a hybrid tunnel/ dome is because the walls are much more vertical than in a traditional dome tent, offering increased usable space inside.

The tent uses the heavier Kerlon 1800 fabric, and four 10mm poles. It has two entrances and vestibules, which are an exact mirror of each other. With dual entrances, an overhead roof vent, and full bug netting doors on the inner tent, you can get excellent ventilation, both horizontal and vertical.

Cons- The Tarra is a heavy tent at 9 lbs. It also has a very large pack size for a two person tent. These are not surprises when you buy the tent, however, they are well worth considering depending on what uses you have planned for it. Like all Hillebergs, it is also expensive, at roughly $900. The weight, cost, and pack size are really the only three negatives as far as I can tell. How much those weigh (pun intended) will be different for each individual and use.

Pros- The Tarra is a bomb shelter. From the fabric material to the poles, to the set-up, you get the overpowering feeling of being able to survive a nuclear winter. Setup is simple. It is one of the fastest tents I've ever set up, and easiest with one person. A tent this easy to set up a second person would almost be more in the way, than helpful. It is also a warm tent. I camped in it in 19* F weather, on deep snow, and the temperature inside the tent felt MUCH warmer than the outside temps. It is large 2 person tent. The large pack size and heavy weight pay off in this regard. Before I bought the Tarra, I saw it set up next to the larger 3-person Saivo. The vestibules in the Tarra felt larger, and the interior felt only slightly less roomy, thanks to the Tarra's excellent vertical walls and more vertical vestibule angles. The Tarra is the first 2 person tent I've been in that felt like it was really made for two people, plus gear. In fact, it feels like 3 would not be bad in an emergency situation.

For backpacking the Tarra would not be a bad choice if used truly for two people. At 4.5 lbs each (and the weight can be divided nicely due to the removable inner tent, poles, etc), the strength, comfort, and space of the tent would make it my tent of choice for 2 person backpacking in demanding conditions. As a 1 person tent, 9 lbs and the huge pack size make it a pretty poor choice (ask me how I know:). For solo motorcycle touring/ camping, where weight and pack size are less relevant, the Tarra is a palace.

Here are some photos of my Tarra. My backpacking partner, for reference, is a 60 lb Belgian Malinois:

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

So now that I've got the ball rolling, I'd love to hear from other Hilleberg owners (and please put up pictures, inside and out).

PS- No flash was used on the second photo. The interiors really are cheery with the bright yellow color.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Hello Doug. I too have just joined the ranks of Hilleberg carriers. I bought an Unna for myself and my sometime canine companion.
    Heavy compared to what a lot carry here sure. I slept like a rock in 60mph gusts in mine, so I'm sold on the extra weight at times.

Had a Duomid for a couple of years. Great shelter, but not quite long enough for me at 6'3".

I knew I wanted something that would last me for quite a while. Needed to be long. Side entry for those long legs and views.

Funny I do not miss not having a vestibule. Got use to having everything in with me in the mid. Bears abound here so cooking in the tent is not a good idea anyway.

The Unna without the inner is absolutely huge. Easily get two in there with their gear. Has more usable width 2 feet off the ground than the Duomid did too, so a nice roomy interior.

I have some lighter weight poles from a dome tent I owned decades ago that I am going to make a set for the Unna to save some weight for not so terrible weather trips.

A well thought out feature set for my use. Freestanding is a nice convenience as well. Can shake the tent out in the morning.

Happy in my new home away from home.

Comparing the Duo and Unna pitched

The two packed. The Unna when packed outer only is of comparable size to the mid.

Massive cavern!

Plenty of room between the inner and outer to place your shoes. And they stay dry. The toggles are very easy and fast to use.

The outer goes tight against the ground if needed. Blocking all wind. The night with high winds I noticed no discernible air movement in the tent. Blissfully calm.

Tons of air space between the inner and outer.

Totally out in the open in 40mph+ winds.

Hoping to get much more use out it in the future. My first tent in over 10 years. Been using a hammock or tarp and bivy.
    Both are great options for times when you don't need a tent. I wanted a private space that was out of the wind. Easy and I mean it is really easy and fast to put up. That's always good. I just want in when I get to camp some nights.
    Expensive, initially sure. Over the life of a properly cared for shelter, not so much. It was really hard to pul the trigger on spending so much on something just for me. A purchase that has begun to prove that it was a wise choice for me.

Oh yeah. I love the modularity of the design as well. I look forward to getting the mesh inner later. Good color too.

Here are some more pictures

Nice steep walls

That cheery yellow inner

Nice huge entrance

Looks roomy, but how roomy is it?

Here it is with a large Neoair and my Ohm

Without the inner I could easily fit two 25" wide pads in there.

The vent at ground level in the rear is easy to operate. Can be deployed from inside when using outer only.

I have added this post to the reader reviews.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Nm

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

I'd like to see more about the new Anjan (3-season version of the Nallo) when someone gets one and has a chance to use it in nasty alpine conditions.

Doug Smith
    BPL Member

@jedi5150

Ken, outstanding review of the Unna! That is exactly what I was hoping for. When I look for backpacking tents for myself and the dog, I look at the 2 person tents. This is mainly because whatever tent I buy has to do double duty of also sharing half of our 4 person family (not including dogs), so I've got to buy on the big side. If I was in the market for a tent for strictly me and my dog, the Unna would have been my choice hands down. It is wide enough to fit the pooch and myself, without the extra bulk of a two person tent. And I'm in agreement with you on vestibules. I really don't use them much and would prefer to have the room inside the inner tent.

Stephen, I'd love to read your Soulo review. It seems to be a popular model, so I'm sure others would appreciate it as well.

Mary, that's the thing about Hilleberg reviews. Some models get a lot of reviews and you can find almost anything you want to know about them on the internet. Other versions (like the Nammatj and Saivo for me), it's almost like nobody has ever bought them, there are so few reviews. I hope someone can put up an Anjan review for you.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

nm

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

Doug, the Anjan is brand new, just released this month, and is sold out, so I don't expect to see any reviews of it for a while. Unless, of course, one of our BPL forum folks was able to get one of that first batch!

Doug Smith
    BPL Member

@jedi5150

Ah, I didn't realize it was so new. I've seen it in the catalogue since the beginning of the year, so I assumed it had been out a while. It must be well worth looking at if it's already sold out. :)

Anonymous
    Inactive

http://www.trailspace.com/forums/gear-selection/topics/124226.html

I posted a bunch of photos of the Anjan over at Trailspace.com, once I received a couple of them in for inventory. (I sold both in just a few days).

I plan on getting an Anjan for Summer use above treeline in the Winds.

(DISCLOSURE – I am an authorized Hilleberg Retailer.)

Doug Smith
    BPL Member

@jedi5150

"(DISCLOSURE – I am an authorized Hilleberg Retailer.)"

Charles, are you based out of Utah by chance? :)

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yep, up near Logan.

Doug Smith
    BPL Member

@jedi5150

I had a feeling you might be the same Hilleberg distributor I've been chatting with on 24hourcampfire. :)

Peter s

@darkness

Some pictures from our trip to Sarek national park in Sweden where we had 2 Hilleberg Kaitum 2 tents

Twin Hilleberg Kaitum 2

Sarek National Park, Sweden

Mike Allen

@michaellea62

Locale: UTAH

Charles, I have the atko and was wondering if the new mesh inner for the atko would save me any weight compared to the inner tent that comes with the original tent?
    Thanks for your help
    Mike

Doug Smith
    BPL Member

@jedi5150

Mike, Charles can let you know for sure, but on another forum I read that the mesh inner tents are almost identical in weight to their stock counterparts. The mesh inner for the Atko is 1 lb, 5 oz, and the standard inner is probably within an ounce or two of that.

Mike Allen

@michaellea62

Locale: UTAH

Thanks Doug. I was hoping that it would shave a little weight off my atko, because I really love that tent but it's not exactly a light weight solo shelter. I've got my eye on the notch and light heart solo and solong 6, but waiting for some more reviews on the tents…

Doug Smith
    BPL Member

@jedi5150

I dunno Mike, the Atko is 3.5 lbs packed weight, and is a 4 season tent. To me that meets the "very" light category. It's all relative. 3 lbs may seem heavy if you're comparing it to a tarp and groundcloth, with trekking poles for support, but that would be an unfair comparison. A tent will provide creature (literally) and cold weather comforts that a light shelter never could.

I joined this site to find ways to lighten my load, and make my backpacking more comfortable. But in the end, it's not always about hiking the entire PCT with nothing but boxer shorts and a Nalgene bottle. They could have titled the website "Ultralight Backpacking", but they didn't. IMHO a 3.5 lb 4 season tent is light. ;-) Just my .02 cents.

BER —
    BPL Member

@ber

Locale: Wisconsin

I recently bought a Kaitum 2p and had it out for its first overnight this weekend with my wife and 60# pup. Coming from a BA Copper Spur UL3, I found the Kaitum 2 a bit narrower than my ideal. We tend to like to spread our stuff. I did like the ease of setup, found the air movement to be good with the end vents open, and liked exiting at my wife's feet rather than her head (it seems too many two person tents with end-entry slope down away from the entry and are designed for head at the door positioning–the Kaitum does not). I will likely buy a Kaitum 3p to compare and either send back the 3p if too large, or sell the 2p. Wish it was lighter of course….

http://Www.moontrail.com has pretty good pics of many of the Hillebergs. Inside and out for some.

David Ure

@familyguy

The Akto is a really nice poor weather tent but lacks headroom, is condensation prone because it lacks ventilation, and cannot take any meaningful snow load as the ends will collapse. It is really a 3+ season shelter for most of us.

I thought it was well made but much too heavy for a 3+ shelter and sold it a couple of years back.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

The Akto mesh inner is listed at 550g.
    BPL measured the fabric inner at 473g.

Doug
    But in the end, it's not always about hiking the entire PCT with nothing but boxer shorts and a Nalgene bottle
    A Nalgene 1 L bottle is 180g.
    A standard 1.25L soda water bottle is 45 g (Aquafina bottles are lighter)
    What were you thinking ?
    Franco

David Ure

@familyguy

Hey – the classic 1L Nalgene is 95g!

Rakesh Malik

@tamerlin

Locale: Cascadia

"A Nalgene 1 L bottle is 180g. "

Not if you fill it with helium instead of water ;)

Doug Smith
    BPL Member

@jedi5150

"A Nalgene 1 L bottle is 180g.
    A standard 1.25L soda water bottle is 45 g (Aquafina bottles are lighter)
    What were you thinking ?
    Franco"

Hahahaha. Touche Franco.

PS- In a few weeks I might be able to do a write-up on another Hilleberg tent. But I'm not telling which one or you guys will be lined up to buy it before me and it'll be out of stock. :P

Anonymous
    Inactive

The 2012 catalog says that the inner mesh weight is 600g for the Akto, or 1lb. 5 oz. Glad Franco knew where to find the weight of the inner fabric.

I have a bunch of 2012 catalogs (or handbooks as Hilleberg calls them) free of charge if anyone wants one.

D G
    Spectator

@dang

Locale: Pacific Northwet

Hi Mike,

The akto can be lightened significantly with some simple mods.

My pimped out akto weighs 2 lbs 10 oz. which is pretty light. My tent weight as stock was
    3 lbs 5 oz.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 862 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools