Topic

Uncoated pack fabric

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Uncoated pack fabric

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Thomas Conly
    BPL Member

@conly

Locale: Lots of canoeing and snow

I'm going to be making a new backpack for myself, having worn out my old one. I'm curious if anyone has used a pack with uncoated fabric before. It seems to me that the PU coating on pack fabric is not very water proof and it wears off after a while anyway. I'll be keeping my stuff in waterproof stuffsacks so I don't see the need to use the heavier, coated material. I also think the pack could potentially dry out faster if it's not coated because the inside stays wet in my experience. However, I'm hesitant to use uncoated fabric because every pack uses coated nylon and it just seems like maybe I'm missing something. Thoughts?

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

I've been using uncoated fabric on all my myog backpacks for well over 10 years. I love it. It has all the advantages you mention plus I can throw the bag in the washer. I really like this because I'm a heavy sweater and my packs can get pretty smelly.

I, my wife and a friend have all used 1.9 ounce uncoated ripstop on our myog backpacks without any problems. I am currently testing a a bag made of 1.1 ounce uncoated ripstop. No problems so far.

Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

Locale: Midwest

Daryl,
    Who's your normal supplier of said uncoated 1.9?

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

One reason everyone uses a coated pack fabric is it is actually VERY hard to find an uncoated fabric. The common acrylic coating is used just to bond the threads together rather than for water-proofing. It stops terrible fraying at the edges too.

Cheers

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Michael,

I haven't bought any 1.9 ounce uncoated ripstop for a couple of years but the last I bought was from here:

here

I also still have a couple of rolls of uncoated 1.9 ounce ripstop that I bought in the 1970s for almost nothing. I use it for first drafts. It is a very ugly color (baby crap yellow?). I bought the black fabric to please my wife and I use it for the final drafts.

Forty year old uncoated ripstop on rolls, stored inside a house, away from the sun looks and wears just like new. Not so for the coated nylon. Some of that has morphed into sticky, smelly mess.

Daryl

Colin Krusor
    BPL Member

@ckrusor

Locale: Northwest US

I'm working on a pack right now that uses uncoated fabric. The bottom is reinforced with about 4oz nylon, but most of the pack body is uncoated 1.8oz dacron. It should absorb less water and dry faster than nylon, I think. I don't know how the choice to use dacron over nylon will turn out, but I always use a packliner and I don't expect to regret choosing uncoated fabric.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools