Topic

Uco Stormproof Match Kit

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Uco Stormproof Match Kit

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I ran across this while surfing the REI web site. Of course, I've seen plastic match cases for decades, but Uco has added a mount for the striker. I like to add a "no blow out" joke birthday candle. I remember Mike Moore carries a plain section of firesteel and a scraper in his matchsafe, along with the matches. I like it. $6

Uco Stormproof Match Kit

http://www.rei.com/product/820267/uco-stormproof-match-kit

John Almond

@flrider

Locale: The Southeast

Have you ever tried to use the striker pad while it was wet? (I haven't; this isn't a criticism, just a question to see if that type of striker works when wet.)

If it works, then that's a great idea–I can't tell you the amount of times I've dropped a striker patch when trying to use matches outdoors. If not, then I have to say this falls under the category of "cool, but not very practical".

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

I haven't and wondered about it too. I use a K&M match safe and carry a Bic and a small fire steel. Something has to work.

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

Magnifying glass, strike anywhere matches, fresnel lens, 9 volt battery and steel wool, potassium permanganate and glycerin, bow drill and / or flint and steel! ;-)

FWIW glue a piece of the striker plate material inside the cap of the match safe and insert as many matches as will fit upside down into the match safe so that the match heads are pointed away from the striker material. Close the match safe and the O ring should keep everything dry.

Disclaimer

Warning! This is strictly a hypothetical and experimental method and is in no way a recommended practice. It probably violates some OSHA or NFPA rule or law.

If you decide to attempt this method / modification you could quite possibly be putting yourself at risk. Consult with a trained professional and do not try this yourself.

Party On,

Newton

Post edited in the interest of everyone's safety! ;-)

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Newton: "FWIW glue a piece of the striker plate material inside the cap of the match safe and insert as many matches as will fit upside down into the match safe so that the match heads are away from the striker material. Close the match safe and the O ring should keep everything dry."

Good and simple solution! I've always wanted a mini road flare that would burn for about 5 minutes. That would get any wood burning and make a good signal device too. I have a hard time justifying a full 15 minute flare, but it would be a good addition on a group hike.

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Hey Dale,

Re-read my post.

"…insert as many matches as will fit upside down into the match safe so that the match heads are away from the striker material".

I could be wrong but I believe that this would keep the match heads and the striker material apart and safe from inadvertent ignition. In this configuration the only part of the match close to the striker material would be the wooden stick only end of the match and not the match head.

It was probably a bad suggestion as there is probably an OSHA or NFPA rule or law stating that these two items can't even be in the same room together let alone the same container unless it is an odd numbered leap year.

I do understand that inserting the matches in the normal way with a piece of the striker material in the cap would be rather hazardous.

BTW a road flare would be another good option to use as a fire starter. ;-)

Party On,

Newton

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

I think the upside down arrangement is safe enough. If you think about it, self-striking matches can rub together in a container, which seems more ignition prone by far.

Road flares make excellent fire starters. It's an old hunter's trick in the PNW. A 15 minute flare will get the wettest, most rotten wood burning. I recommend them 110% for winter trips.

They are designed as a signal device in the first place— I'll bet a helicopter team could see a road flare from miles away if you are in the clear. Massive night blindness effect though– wear your sunglasses or goggles :)

Erik Basil
    BPL Member

@ebasil

Locale: Atzlan

I use the same Kodak film container I've had since about 1980, with a hunk of striker tucked under the lid. I prefer the flat-topped Kodaks to the nicely-translucent but contour-lidded Fuji canisters. The Uco kit looks fine and good, except for having that striker "outside".

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Many photographers mourned the passing of the metal film cans with a screw top. They had 10,000 uses.

Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

I have one a friend bought for me it weighs 1.3 oz minus 3 matches it comes with 2 extra strikers kept in a plastic bag inside and I just soaked the striker for 1 minute under water then brushed it off and it lit a match. Any other questions?

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Dale,

I amended / changed / edited my first post on this thread in the interest of everyone's safety and to keep the attorneys at bay.

Thank you for helping me to maintain safety on the hiking trails and in the pockets and packs of hikers everywhere. ;-)

BTW I know this is off subject but I carry that REI windshirt / jacket that I got from you a while back in my daily carry pack. It has served me well and I have nicknamed it "Dale". ;-)

Thanks again.

Party On,

Newton

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA

I usually tear the striking strip off the side of a box, wrap it in plastic wrap, and then stick it inside my match safe. The match safe keeps it dry and the plastic wrap prevents accidental ignition.

HJ
    Adventures In Stoving

Eric Moe

@ericmoe

Locale: Washington

The outside striker does still work after getting wet or muddy. You can just brush off the water or dirt and the matches should still light. The container comes with a couple heat sealed strikers inside as well, so you can replace the outside one if it gets destroyed.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools