Topic

water filter..real or ???

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) water filter..real or ???

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    terry a thompson
    BPL Member

@terry588

Locale: West

Has anyone used or have any information on this 3oz, 1 micron, 2000 liter water filter?
    http://www.pureeasy.com/Products/Protable_Water_Filter/248.html

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

10 ounces per minute is very slow.

terry a thompson
    BPL Member

@terry588

Yes that's true but the price of $35.00 and weight at 3oz and the volume of 2000 liters per filter sure sound good to me. The replacement filters are only $12.00 compared to others that have to be replaced at 500 liters or less and cost 3 or 4 times as much. Normally i spend longer than that at a water source anyway:-)

Chad “Stick” Poindexter
    BPL Member

@stick

Locale: Southeast USA

I paid $47 for my Sawyer Squeeze. Much faster flow rate, filters down to 0.1 micron, weighs less than 3 oz and has a lifetime guarantee on the filter…

Colin Krusor
    BPL Member

@ckrusor

Locale: Northwest US

I would second Chad's suggestion. A Sawyer squeeze filter is lighter than 3 ounces, the filter component is claimed to last for a million gallons, it filters down to 0.1 microns, it will filter probably 20-30 ounces per minute, and it costs ten dollars more than the filter you're interested in.

Kier Selinsky

@kieran

Locale: Seattle, WA
    terry a thompson
    BPL Member

@terry588

sounds like the Sawyer Squeeze is the way to go.
    Thanks guys for your input.I will give it a try.

Terry

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Does a Sawyer Squeeze screw onto a Platypus?

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Chad “Stick” Poindexter
    BPL Member

@stick

Locale: Southeast USA

The thread pitch is different on my Squeeze filter and my 2L Platy soft bottle. I have read that the Evernew soft bottles (sold at AGG) have the same thread pitch, but I cannot verify this since I don't have one…

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

That looks a better than any other water purification

I've been using the Steripen Opti, which works good, and weighs about the same as the Sawyer, but the batteries are a nuisance and you have to carry a spare set because it's sort of persnickety.

The Opti kills viruses, but where I go that's not important.

Rusty Beaver
    BPL Member

@rustyb

Locale: Idaho

In one of the demo videos, it looks as though it takes a lot of force to pump. That combined with the slow output would make it unappealing to me personally.

In regards to the Sawyer Squeeze Filter being recommended, does anyone know what kind of plastic the bags are made from and if they contain BPA?

J-L
    BPL Member

@johnnyh88

Yes, the Evernew bladders screw onto the Sawyer Squeeze perfectly. I have used both 2L and 1.5L Evernew bladders with the Sawyer Squeeze with no problem. The Platypus threads are indeed different.

The flow rate can be kind of slow if the filter gets clogged, but that's what backflushing is for. I typically just fill up a 1/2 liter water bottle with the filter at the source and carry along some dirty water in my Evernew bladder that I filter through the day as needed (often I just drink from the bladder through the filter). Simple and quick.

I've filtered some pretty nasty stuff with no ill-effects. This was the cleanest water source I had on my last trip:

water

Blair Blair

@david_brett

Hello,
    I assemble a manual filter for water purification,
    I never purify water in plenty like 2000 litter,
    But this is quite interesting I will try it.

Colin Krusor
    BPL Member

@ckrusor

Locale: Northwest US

Rusty, I don't know the composition of the Sawyer squeeze bags, but they are almost certainly nylon or polyester film, and they may or may not have a polyethylene heat sealable coating on the inside (I can't tell by looking at mine). Of these plastics, only polyester ever contains BPA. If it is polyester, and it does contain BPA, the quantities that will leach out into your water will be negligible for four reasons: the contact time will be very short if you use the bags just while filtering and not for dirty water storage, the temperature of the water in the bags is likely to be low, the water is not likely to contain much fat (or other nonpolar solvents), and the pH of the water is likely to be near neutral. BPA is a concern for things like can linings and polycarbonate baby bottles because the contact time can be very long and the contents are often fatty and/or acidic. Also, as you may know, BPA is really only a major concern for children/infants/fetuses or women who are being treated for breast cancer.

Harald Hope
    Spectator

@hhope

Locale: East Bay

The old platypuses thread on nicely, that's the ones that didn't have the curves, just straight lines. I tried it, works fine, the new ones leaked all over, as noted. I'm not clear on why the caps seem to thread on fine to old and new, mystery to me.

Can't find evernew online at the moment, prolite gear is out of them. I really wish sawyer would fix that issue, and make their squeeze bags more durable, that's the only drawback I can find, especially now that they have have an adaptor for tubes available, at REI for example.

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

My Squeeze fits the threads of a Vapur brand bag/bladder (my wife has one sitting on the counter so I had to check). These are made by Vapur, but I've only seen them at a NW store called Storables (like Container store) and Eddie Bauer. All I did was screw the filter on the bladder; I haven't actually tried it out so no idea about durability. At some point, I'll get around to weighing and using it.

These Vapurs are at least marketed towards carrying around everyday, NOT backpacking. They only seem to come in bright colors with logos or designs on them (not really a big deal, but meh) and they seem to only be available in .5L size (the only ones with a small sized opening).

Still . . . it's something that's available in many cities.

http://vapur.us/

J-L
    BPL Member

@johnnyh88

AntiGravity Gear and Gossamer Gear both have different sized Evernew bladders in stock.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Harald Hope
    Spectator

@hhope

Locale: East Bay

campacopia.com is where I just got an evernew 2L, it's on sale, and their shipping is really cheap.

At some point I'm hoping that Gossamer gear realizes that charging such high shipping loses them a lot of sales, and goodwill, when shipping is close to the cost of the item, that's a pretty major disincentive to buy from that vendor. Lawson has the right idea.

Darren M.

@dmacdaddy

Just ordered some bladders from Gossamer today and shipping was only $5. They did change their shipping policy not too long ago.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools