Topic

Breathability of waxed leather/canvas?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Breathability of waxed leather/canvas?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

Does waxing leather or canvas kill the breathability in any way? I have always wondered about this. I am talking about using regular paraffin wax with a heat gun. Would a oil/wax cream be more or less breathable than straight wax?
    Also, does this depend on how heavy of an application?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Seen this?
    http://www.fjallraven.us/g-11-greenland_wax.aspx

Poke around the site a little.

Filson does a wax treatment also.

There was some waxed rainwear from the 60's, but I don't go that far back.

Nick Brown

@ojsglove

Locale: Highland Park

I have a Filson wax cotton Tin Cloth hat. The breathability is quite bad. Condensation will build up inside the hat. I do not wear it hiking. The waterproofing is quite good but has wet out at the seams resulting in a wet a head from the hatband down.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Thanks, that's what I thought. I wonder if waxed leather boots could be dangerous on your feet in very cold (dry) conditions.
    Most hikers hike in goretex leather boots. I know that the leather can still get wet, I am guessing that waxing them would be double the breathability problems. Unless there are modern methods that are more breathable?

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

I wonder how waxed raingear would compared to new tech stuff in terms of breathability? Some waxed cotton raingear would be cool to own and use, just for fun.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Depends on the wax loading. It ranges up to Ho Ho Ho.

Cheers

Stuart .
    BPL Member

@lotuseater

Locale: Colorado

I have a couple of Barbour waxed cotton jackets. Designed for fishermen originally, these were adopted by the 'landed gentry' whose idea of hunting was standing in a field taking pot shots at pheasant. Think low exertion activities where you want to stay dry in damp conditions. They are totally windproof, and not in the slightest bit breathable. Not particularly warm on their own, but coupled with a liner or a sweater they are great. Perfect for standing around watching a game of rubgy, or taking the dog for a walk when it's between 35-50F.

For hiking stick with modern materials.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools