Topic

Running in a Houdini(or any windshield)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Running in a Houdini(or any windshield)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    James Winstead
    Spectator

@james_w

Locale: CA

Do any of you run in your windshirts? I'm liking the looks of the Houdini but trying to be as multipurpose as possible In what I buy…multipurpose as in choosing backpacking gear that I can use routinely in my normal life.

I've never used a windshirt. Breathable as they are would they still be a sweatbox to actually run in? I'm in San Francisco, so I'd mostly be using it in 50-60degree days over a tshirt. Probably pop it on when exposed to the wind or stopping to stretch etc.

Thanks!

Aaron
    BPL Member

@aaronufl

I can normally only stand to have my houdini on when the wind is really blowing, or when its pretty cool outside. Anything more than that and I feel like I'm overheating. Of course, it's usually super sunny out here…

I've been using a Rab Boreas over the past few months that I feel breathes a lot better, but doesn't block wind as well.

Greg F
    BPL Member

@gregf

Locale: Canadian Rockies

I run in a windshirt although I bought one with vented mesh underarms for better breathability. I run with it from about 5C and lower above that and I am too hot in it in the city or on forested trails. On ridgelines above the trees I find it quite useful at the temperatures you mention for while running.

So to use it while running at a reasonable temperature you need a pretty stiff cold wind. But if it is too hot for it with the front only half zipped then you likely won't be cold running without it.

For reference I have an MEC tace windshirt

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/MensClothing/OutdoorAthletic/LongSleevedJackets/PRD~5020-552/mec-tace-jacket-mens.jsp

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

James, a windshirt in 50-60degree is definitely going to be a sweat box. In those temps, I just do a long sleeve capilene shirt or similar.

I use a Montane marathon windshirt for running. It's got huge ventilation "gills" (3 slits on each side of the torso) but I still overheat after a couple miles if it's not below 40. Of course, unzipping the front when appropriate will help dump a ton of heat. I also wear a long sleeve capilene shirt underneath the windshirt to cut down on the clamminess feeling of the material.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

James:

I own a Houdini and it is probably the most breathable wind shirt anywhere. However, if you think about it, runners can (or will) break into a sweat even when running nekkid — so don't fantasize about running comfy and dry with a shell layer around you. That only exists in Goretex marketing brochures.

More realistically would be wearing the Houdini for the first leg of your run — then just tying it around your waist once you've warmed up.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

wind vest … full zip … but thats really for ~30-50F

running companies also make running windshirts, but thats for cooler temps as well

Scott S

@sschloss1

Locale: New England

I have a Houdini, and even though it's breathable, it traps a lot of heat. I only run in my Houdini when it's colder than 40 or so, and even down into the 30s I sometimes leave it home if it's sunny or not too windy out.

For 50-60 degrees, I'm running in shorts and a t-shirt. If it's really windy and cloudy I might wear a light long-sleeve shirt instead of a t-shirt.

Neil McGee
    Spectator

@thegreatclod

Locale: Northeast, East Asia

I run in a houdini, lt-wt insulation layer, and a synth t-shirt at temps below 40°.

I run in a houdini and a t-shirt (usually wool) at temps between 40-50°. Works great.

I've used a houdini as a light jacket during the recent breezy warm spring days that have sprung up here in the Mid-Atlantic. It looks decent enough when I'm "about town."

I'll be taking a houdini with my on my first backpacking trips this season to see how well it works with my current kit.

For someone new at all this, I seem to be getting a lot of use out of my houdini. I keep finding good uses for it.

James Winstead
    Spectator

@james_w

Thanks all for responses. It seems like I may be a little optimistic in my temp estimates for when it would be tolerable. Sounds like 50's would even be pushing it.

I've seen some of the vented running windshirts/jackets but somewhat question their utility for backpacking. I also really want the hood.

Hmmmm… The search goes on.

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

James,

Low 40s and below, I run in a light long-sleeve top (like a MH WickedLite), gloves, light hat and a vest. I use a Pearl Izumi Zephyrr and got that a few years ago at REI for $15.00, around this time when they start taking extra % off clearance items. I think if you look around at cycling and running shops, any vest by Brooks, Nike, P.I., etc, will do if you find one you like on sale.

But, of course go ahead and get the Houdini for backpacking, too! I just don't think you'll need it for running.

Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

Locale: San Gabriel Valley

Dont forget biking!

I agree, even in 40 degree rain, I run in only a light base layer. But I bike often and my windshirt gets used a lot. Also if I'm on a longish run in the hills the windshirt comes out for breaks, summit photos, etc. I finally got a Houdini again, love that thing.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

James: you live in S.F. Factor in the fog/ wind. I think that your posted responses are from people outside the area. Micro-climates prevail. I'm in Berkeley and my Houdini is very versatile. The front zipper acts as a regulator. I do use a capilene base. You can always wrap it around your hips. When the fog rolls in, or when you start in fog, it's good! Always remembering the wind that comes with fog. And then you can also take it backpacking. And yes the hood is dynamite.

Everything is a series of compromises.

James Winstead
    Spectator

@james_w

Good to hear guys, who am i kidding, I'm probably going to get the Houdini anyways… If you see me selling on gear swap, You know why.

I just noticed the title of my thread too… GD smartphone autocorrect! I feel a little like a dumb*** I half expected someone to tell me that their car windshield is definitely not ul, or in any way usefull for running.

Nigel Healy

@nigelhealy

Locale: San Francisco bay area

I live in San Mateo which is usually warmer than San Francisco. Are you aware of the large mesh gilet/vest type products?

Mine is the Montane Slipstream Gilet, a UK make, I'm sure there are US equivalents. Has a large mesh back panel so if you're moving fast+forwards the front zip up means basically a vest's insulation, zip lower means much less insulation. If you're moving fast then you don't need much insulation but enough to blunt a cool breeze. I use mine many times, I'd say almost daily, good for a 60F-ish type temp which is often is. Below 60F, I also use it over a full windproof to boosts it insulation and in rain as the vest deflects most rain so the windproof under is fairly dry, when a wateproof would be too clammy/hot. I use it also over otheerwise flappy jackets to reduce flap so I don't always have to find a jacket right-fit and no-flap. General-purpose useful.

To pair a vest, I also use some Smartwool arm-warmers, rolling them down to the wrist is cooler than bunching a long-sleep base to the upper-arm.

Between these two I get sufficient flexibility to cope between cool wind / fog through to sunny warm, in the summer I'd have to cope with 80F in bay to mid-50s in the hill fog and if I'm active these two items meet all my needs.

Montane Slipstream gilet
    http://www.montane.co.uk/products/men/windproof/slipstream-gilet/245
    shows only the front view but the rear view is showing on a blogging site
    http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t215/ptcs-photies/1-37.jpg
    No pockets, and comes with a stuffsac.

Arm-warmers
    http://www.smartwool.com/arm-warmer-16.html#Black

You can get the arm-warmers at REI, the gilet, i'm sure there is a US make equivalent, possibly more likely from cycling shops? I think I've seen cyclists around with similar looking.

For a full-on windproof with minimal back venting, mine is a very long one, a Montane Velo, I'm sure there are shorter ones for running.

chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Locale: San Jose, CA

I run in the Houdini when it's cold out. Only issue is it gets really sweaty in the pit where my forearm meets my bycep. Otherwise it's great.

James Berwick

@jhb0510

I Carry a montane featherlite, but only get it out if it is really cold and windy. On mornings when I feel like a wimp and start running in it and it is not cold enough, I have to stop and take it off, usually within 5 mins!

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

A windshirt is just a shirt with some jacket-like features and the same idea as what we in the US call a windbreaker (which drives the Brits to laughs and tears). The idea is to provide an outer shell to protect from cold air and light rain. I could walk on the flat at 50F with one, but not with a load uphill and certainly not running at 50F-60F. Once I stopped running or hiking with a load it would be very nice. They are easy to stash in a hydration or fanny pack.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools