Topic

tight pitch

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) tight pitch

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    b willi jones
    BPL Member

@mrjones

Locale: best place in the world !?

im really liking the look of the mld solomid, but how easy is it to get a nice tight/even pitch with the solomid cuben v silnylon. i guess the silnylon is a little more forgiving, or does it not make too much difference with this design.

i see that skurka fella using a yellow one (silnylon?), if so, why did he not go for the cuben? maybe yellow is a favorite color?

in your opinion, is the cuben version worth the xtra $$ for the amount of weight saving?

thanks – bwj

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

I'm not completely sure, but from what I've read on his site and in discussions he's had with others, Andrew used the silnylon Solomid because he'd had prior experience with it and could vouch for its reliability, and going out to a place as remote and wild as northern Alaska and Canada required something he could absolutely trust. I've also heard that silnylon deals with snow loads better, since the snow slides off more easily. A lot of people when going to the north or traveling a long time alone use yellow to pick up their spirit when it's raining for days on end, and also to more easily find their shelter from afar when venturing away from camp.

Cuben is definitely worth it and can handle the conditions (Ryan Jordan, Roman Dial, and Jason Geck used two cuben pyramid shelters in the Arctic 1000 walk and they worked very well), but you have to be a little more careful with it, and from what some users say when it fails it fails catastrophically, whereas silnylon is more forgiving.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools