Topic

Woman’s backpack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Woman’s backpack

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Alina G
    BPL Member

@alina

Locale: Toronto, Ontario

Hi Everyone,
    I am looking into buying a backpack.
    Should I go specifically for a woman’s backpack or it does not matter? Any suggestions?
    Thank you for your help.
    Alina

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Womens specific packs have design and size features to fit a female figure. If you are slim with smaller hips, there might be less advantage.

I highly recommend getting to a store that has a good selection of packs and spending a couple hours trying packs with weights inside. It's like trying to ft a shoe, with so many variations in size and proportion. Just avoid letting the salesperson talk you into a big heavy pack.

Curry
    BPL Member

@veganaloha

Locale: USA

Alina,

Yes, it actually matters very much.

Because the size, design and placement of shoulder straps, waistebelt, etc is different for women and men based obviously on body structure. A woman's nautral center of gravity is lower towards the pelvic girdle, while a man's is higher towards the shoulders. This is why it's more important for women to have a proper waiste/hipbelt and for men the shoulder straps are more important. So, unless you're a very big woman with no brea sts or hips, a man's pack or "unisex' pack won't fit you properly if at all, which means loads won't carry properly and you'll end up uncomfortable or worse yet, injured.

GoLite was one of the only manufacturer's of women's UL packs. They just stopped and discontinued the long popular Women's Jam (~30L) and Pinnacle(50L) packs in favor of "Unisex" sizing, which is really a man's designed pack for 2012.

I have both a Pinnacle and Jam in size medium and I like them both very much.

Further, some 2011 women's Golite packs are still available from differnt online vendors at very good close out prices. Also, Golite has some 2011 Women's Jams in size large in their "clearance closet" at I think $69.99. Check their site if you're a size large. Otherwise google to find other vendors. I know as of a few weeks ago Uncle Dan's had them.

If you're really interested, I wouldn't wait, because when they're gone, they're gone.

Alina G
    BPL Member

@alina

Thank you for your responses.
    The unfortunate thing is that there are not that many choices for women’s packs. I will look into GoLite.
    I am 5’6” 140 lbs and rather straight built. Not very curvy.

Nick Larsen

@stingray4540

Locale: South Bay

What Dale said. DO THAT!
    Try on a few men's packs too. Hell, try on every pack, with weight in it, that the store has. You wouldn't buy the first pair of shoes your try on would you?

Ron W

@miles2go

Locale: White River National Forest

I'd suggest adding the women's packs offered by Granite Gear http://www.granitegear.com/ to those that you're considering. The new Crown VC 60 is 2 pounds 2 oz and there is a Ki version of it (women specific). The Vapor Ki is 52 liters if you're looking for a smaller pack. My wife carries the Meridian Ki and loves it.

Fit and comfort is king, even in the lightweight world, or at least it should be for pack selection. If possible get your other gear first so you know what size pack you need (don't forget food in that figuring), then find the most comfortable pack to carry it and get out there & enjoy.

Kimberly Wersal
    BPL Member

@kwersal

Locale: Western Colorado

Do try on as many packs as you can. It MAY not matter if it is a woman-specific pack. I don't have a woman-specific pack (never have had) and am perfectly happy with my pack (ULA). I am tall, but far from hipless.

Terri Wright
    BPL Member

@ncalcamper

Locale: SF Bay Area

Unfortunately, stores don't always stock the lighter packs so your likely trying heavier packs. Most people buying lighter packs from the cottage industry don't get a chance to try the light weight packs either. I'm kind of surprised the "try on the pack" notion hasn't been challenged. It sounds so REI.

I agree with Susan, I like the golite packs. I have both jams and pinnacles. Women's packs also have narrower shoulders, something this less than curvy woman appreciates. I do know woman who make unisex packs, like the Mariposa plus work. If you go the rei/try the pack on route, be mindful of the pack weight. Good luck.

Alina G
    BPL Member

@alina

Hi Guys,
    Thank you everyone for your suggestions and comments.
    I see that there is no really one good answer. Some people like women specific packs, some say it does not make difference. It is all over the place. So maybe what I will do is that I will just try to find the best pack(s) and then see if it comes in women’s as well.
    Many people mentioned to try many packs. Unfortunately I am in Canada and the packs that I am interested in are not in my stores locally, even though I live in Toronto. They tend to have the heavier packs. I will have to order on line and make the purchase based on reading many reviews and hopefully that place that I will order it from has good return policy. I buy most of my stuff from the US anyway as here not only the choices are not that great but it is much more expensive as well.
    Somebody said to gather my gear and put it in the pack but wouldn’t the biggest variable be food? The gear is always the same weight but depending if the trip is 2 days or 20 days I will need much different backpacks right?
    I will keep on looking and once I narrow my choices I will post them here and ask for your advice again.

@ Ron. This Crown CV 60 sounds interesting. I was not aware that they have a new pack. I like the cinching system in this pack. Hopefully it will let me to extend the usage of the pack (anything from 2 days to a week or maybe even more) so I do not have to buy few packs depending on how long my trips will be. Does anyone know of anything not so great about this pack? How is their customer service? Any ladies using it?
    Thank you.

Julie R
    BPL Member

@julier

I'm a little late to post, but I've been looking for a pack as well and have finally settled on the Granite Gear Crown KI (women's version). Haven't bought it yet (waiting for my birthday), but have been able to try it on a couple times (yay for living near Backcountry Gear!) and it is awesome, the most comfortable pack I've ever worn. Fit's all very personal of course, but this pack is worth looking at.

I like wearing as much weight on my hips as possible, and the Crown does a great job of transferring the weight, and keeping it off my shoulders. granted, this is just walking around the store with 20 and 30 lbs. but compared to all the packs I've tried on (some lighter, some heavier) with the same weight and time period, this is the best.

It is quite large and would work well for short trips due to compression system as well as long trips, plus the collar extends too. Which is another reason I like the pack, since I'm also looking for one pack for all my trips. There are lots of reviews about the Crown on BPL as well.

Alina G
    BPL Member

@alina

Thank you so much Julie.
    I am leaning towards it as well. I had a break in my search and now I forgot what I have learned about packs (LOL) but I better purchase one as the season is almost here. What do you think about the GG Blaze? Did you have a chance to try it on? It might be more ragged compared to the mesh on the Crown but it is for some reason 12 oz heavier. I do not know why because they are the same volume.
    There is going to be a review on BPL on GG Blaze next week so I am going to hold my purchase till then.
    What body type are you? What is your height and weight? I am thinking of using you as my surrogate for fitting purposes.
    Thank you.

Julie R
    BPL Member

@julier

Alina,
    I tried on the Blaze and it was comfortable, but no more than the Crown and so for the weight savings I like the Crown better. I think the Blaze has an adjustable frame and different type of backpanel, which is part of the reason it's heavier. I also liked the backpanel on the Crown a bit better. I felt like the Crown was hugging me, all the weight was close to my body. It'll be interesting to see the review for the Blaze though.

I have around an 18" torso and the Crown Ki Regular was perfect for me (short was too small). I've also got some hips on me, and quite the rear – more curvy build I guess. I'm 5'5", 150lbs. The hipbelts on Osprey packs never seem to work for me – dig into my hips, whereas I've had better luck with Gregory packs in the past. The crown hipbelt on the woman's pack is "sculpted to fit the increased curvature of women's hips", and it works for me. I think you said you were more of a straight build, so not sure if this would make much of a difference for you or not. The belt seems like it would still be comfortable though.

The Regular Crown pack comes with a large hipbelt, which I'm still not sure will work for me or not. I'm kind of between sizes Med and Large. I talked to Backcountry Gear and they said it wouldn't be a problem to get the Regular pack with a Med belt. Don't know if you could do this online, but I'm sure if you called they would take care of it. Or order directly through GG, I think you can pick pack and belt individually. Also, on the GG website, the hip belt sizing does seem pretty accurate.

Anyway, hope this helps. Good luck with your backpack search!

NoCO-Jim
    BPL Member

@noco-jim

Locale: NoCO

…and check out Deuter's SL line for women:
    http://www.deuter.com/en_US/backpacks.php?category=131

Alina G
    BPL Member

@alina

@ Julie. Thank you once again. Very helpful. I did not know that they can switch hip belts. Good to know.
    @ Jim. I like all the features that come with Deuter but it is quite a bit heavier than the other UL packs. Do you own this one?
    Thank you.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools