Topic

Upcoming trip to Australia–offering to be a pack mule

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Upcoming trip to Australia–offering to be a pack mule

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Nancy Charlier
    BPL Member

@ncharlier

Locale: Midwest

I'm not sure where to post this–I'm going to Australia at the end of March, till the end of April. I have a permit for the Overland Track in Tasmania, but the rest of the time, I will be taking a long train ride, checking out Sydney, and then Melbourne. From what I read in the gear forums, it seems as if shipping stuff to or from Australia is expensive and time-consuming. As I will be taking a suitcase as well as my backpack, and I will have maybe 1000-1200 cubic inches (16-20 litres) of capacity left over, I could take some stuff with me to be delivered in Australia via the Australian postal system, or bring stuff back with me and send it out via USPS. I am also going to have to put my poles in a tube and check them, so if need be, I can tote longish items as well. If I can oblige anybody this way, let me know via PM.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

That's very kind of you, Nancy. Could you bring back one of Roger Caffin's tents for me? You might have to hire local mercenaries to raid his place in order to obtain the tent.

(BTW, where in Wisconsin are you?)

Rob E
    Spectator

@eatsleepfish

Locale: Canada

Fill all available luggage space with fosters cans, sell them on the forum, and your trip will be paid for.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Fosters? I can get them by the dozens for $2 a piece!

Nancy Charlier
    BPL Member

@ncharlier

Travis,

I'm currently in Madison, but I've worked in Eau Claire for most of the past 5 years, and I'm in the process of trying to get hired on up there again. Where are you? As for Roger's tents, I want one too. My first tent (30+ years ago) was a Teton Tunnel, with short, brittle, non-shockcorded fiberglass rods for structure, and it had a bad tendency to deform in sideways winds as it had no side guys, but I loved that thing for its spacious feeling. I don't think I have enough of the engineering mindset to figure out a Caffinesque tent on my own.
    I almost never drink except during town stops on long hikes–I had totally forgotten I was going into fosters territory. Anyone have recommendations for other Australian beverages?

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Nancy, I'm over in Milwaukee, but my tromping grounds are usually up in Forest County. I'm headed to Black River State Forest on Saturday for an overnighter.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Hi Nancy:

Very generous of you!

Not that you asked, but why a backpack and a suitcase? When I combine hiking with traveling, I pack exactly as I hike… and then add:

o 1 extra set of clothes
    o compact umbrella
    o passport/documents/extra credit card and either guidebook or tablet PC
    o packable day pack (maybe)

Shouldn't take up much more space or more than 3-4lbs extra weight?

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

I have never seen one of those 25oz Foster's cans here…in fact Foster is not the beer most of us drink, that is why we send it OS.

Yes postage here is more expensive however Australia Post is not bankrupt as yet…
    I had a customer complaining that postage from the US to AU was too much, when I told him that the same service the other way (AU to US) was almost exactly twice as much he replied that it was irrelevant…
    Go figure.
    Franco

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

I just think that your offer to go the extra mile here, is so kind. It made me feel good to read your post, thanks.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

The Fosters sold in the USA is from Canada

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Those meddling Canadians…

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

Great gesture, Nancy–your karma has escalated in a good way.

I'm with you, Franco–Fosters suck. What were those fine lagers I sampled in OZ–seems like they were Cascade and Boag's? Mmmmm…

Stuart .
    BPL Member

@lotuseater

Locale: Colorado

On my last trip, four years ago, I became a big fan of Little Creatures Pale Ale.

Good on you, Nancy.

jacko vanderbijl

@jacko1956

Locale: Shelley Western Australia

It would be a bit like selling ice to eskimos…
    I'm in WA so you can't help me (a bit like Wisconsin to Florida) but I'd suggest you pack about 10 NeoAirs and sell them at a couple of hiking clubs when you get here. Should be able to make about 50% profit to offset your trip costs and still give some Aussies a bargain.
    :-)
    Enjoy your stay
    Cheers

Drop Bear
    BPL Member

@dropbear

10 micro brews on tap in Melbourne.

“Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants to see us happy”
    Benjamin Franklin

edit:I forgot to mention the free tasting of the tap beer.

Nancy Charlier
    BPL Member

@ncharlier

Drop Bear–thanks for the link. I swear Mrs Parma looks exactly one of my fourth grade teachers, especially the arms-around-the-boobs stance. Mrs Neill didn't smile so much, but I guess location makes a difference–pub vs room full of loud kids.

As for the NeoAirs–that is a cool idea. I will have time to make contact with clubs in Sydney and Melbourne for sure.

As for the space–Part of my time will be at a convention, so I expect I will be acquiring a bunch of stuff there, tshirts, books and such, plus general souvenirs and gifts for folks at home. Also for the convention, I need more than one set of clothes, and I'm taking a few books in hopes of getting them signed by the authors, who be speaking. All in all, considering the convention is only 3 days, I will likely end up carrying more for it than for the much longer period of bumming around and hiking. And I can't forget my hairdryer, eyeliner, mascara, foundation, underlayment for the foundation, concealer, blush lipliner, lipstick, lipgloss, eyelash curler, tweezers, razor and gazillion creams, lotions, mousses to make myself look normal–YES that was a joke. I don't even know how to use 3/4 of that stuff!

My main packing right now consists of trying to lose a few pounds off me so I can be prepared for all the pub eating and drinking. I'm looking forward to the local cuisine–I hear there's a delicacy called Vegemite?

jacko vanderbijl

@jacko1956

Locale: Shelley Western Australia

Vegemite is a yeast extract with a strong taste that you spread on bread, toast, biscuits etc.
    Where Americans go wrong is that they lather a thick layer on as if it were peanut paste. If you want to try it spread a very thin layer, like a smear really. It goes well with a slice of cheddar or swiss cheese. It's really good for hiking because a little goes a long way and it doesn't need refrigeration.

Annoyingly Vegemite is now owned by Kraft, an American company.
    :-)

Nancy Charlier
    BPL Member

@ncharlier

I just read the Wikipedia article on Vegemite. It shows a photo of an appropriately thin layer; it also dates the Kraft association to the 1920's. Here in Madison WI, home of Oscar Mayer ("I wish I were an Oscar Mayer Weiner" etc jingle), the Oscar Mayer plant now says KRAFT FOODS on it–it's very annoying. And now the Oscar Mayer jingle is competing in my head with the Men At Work song in my head–between those and lots of cold medicine, I'm getting a bit goofy.

b willi jones
    BPL Member

@mrjones

Locale: best place in the world !?

i think marmite is way better than vegemite. you need to try a marmite n cheese samwidge. just remember though… a little bit is enough

i have friend who has the nickname marmite, for that very reason… a little bit is enough

Anonymous
    Inactive

"i think marmite is way better than vegemite."

Is it made from marmots?

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Then vegemite must be made from vegans.

–B.G.–

Anonymous
    Inactive

"Then vegemite must be made from vegans."

What does that make vegans who eat vegemite? :(

Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

Locale: Western Washington

What does that make vegans who eat vegemite? :(

Wouldn't that make them cannibals?

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Speaking of cannibals…

Nancy Charlier
    BPL Member

@ncharlier

The important thing to remember is that apparently both Marmite and Vegemite come from brewers grains(what's left after brewing beer), so to make sure there are enough brewers grains to go around, we need to drink more beer. Preferably chicken flavo(u)red.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools