Topic

do Inov8 shoes tend to be on the narrow side?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) do Inov8 shoes tend to be on the narrow side?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Toby Salz
    Spectator

@tobysalz

i just picked up a pair of terroc 330s — feel very narrow in the mid-foot. is this something others have noticed? do they run narrow? any suggestions on other inov8 models that might be a better fit or other similar brands that might fit a wider foot?

Andrew F

@andrew-f

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I have the same problem and have tried a number of different models and in my experience the Roclite 295 is the least narrow of those that I tried (but is still narrow compared to other brands.) Unfortunately I had to give up on Inov8's because of this which is too bad because they are freakin' awesome. I have not yet been able to find a reasonable substitute (sportiva X countries are the closest that I have found, but have the opposite problem – narrow in the forefoot.)

Toby Salz
    Spectator

@tobysalz

too bad — they seem super solid. i want to love them. anyone else have any suggestions on a wider shoe with a roomy toe box?

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

I had a pair of Innov8 390 GTX boots that I really wanted to love! They were light and very comfortable when I wore them around the house, but my feet suffered on the three trips I took with them. I started out just fine but after a couple of hours my feet just ached. No blisters or rubbing – they just didn't fit me.

I finally sold them on Gear Swap – I now have a pair of Montrails that work really well for me.

Michael L
    BPL Member

@mpl_35

Locale: NoCo

I didn't find the 295 narrow. On average it is a bit wider than most shoes I have tried.

I found some of the others too narrow though.

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

295s are quite a bit wider. if you look on the Inov8 site, you will notice they mention some of their shoes (like the 295) are built on a "comfort" last and some are built on a "performance" last. The comfort last has a wider forefoot. The 295 is plenty wide for me.

Andrew F

@andrew-f

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I agree that the forefoot is quite wide on the 295 and allows for natural foot splay. For me it's the midfoot where it is tight, the right side of my foot about an inch in front of the ankle ends up stepping on the outside edge of the shoe and is quite uncomfortable. I do have wide feet.

Toby Salz
    Spectator

@tobysalz

hmmm — well i'm gonna give the 295s a try. they list the terroc 330s as comfort fit as well though — hopefully these fit better.

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

I saw that too, Toby. Your feet might just not fit them. I see they do now have the anatomic fit category also, but I have not heard anything about it.

wander lust
    Spectator

@sol

i found them to be too narrow.
    New Balance makes wider and good shoes.

Chase Norton

@micronorton

I just got a pair of the X-talon 212 and immediately noticed the narrowness of the toe box. My toes were scrunched up and I thought all was lost. However, a solution for me (and maybe me alone) came in the lacing. Out of the box, the shoes are well laced and resulted in me just throwing them on and judging. Then out of frustration I unlaced one shoe and relaced it extremely loose everywhere but around my ankle. Instant cure and my foot was released from the coffin like feel. Only time and hiking will tell if this is a good solution to the narrowness or if it just created new problems. 2 cents

Chase

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

I think Inov8s fit differs widely between the various lasts they offer. I tried some Roclite 315s last year, and could lace them all the way shut without them being close to snug. On the other hand, my Oroc 280s fit well. The toe box is a bit narrow.

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

Nope, they are normal to me. I find NB and Innov8 similar, good fit to heel and midfoot, and moderately wide toebox. I have some Nike that are NARROW. My Innov8 is 330 also.

wander lust
    Spectator

@sol

yeah nike is way too narrow for me.

i gave up on trying inov a long time ago, seems like to got some wider shoes now.

note that NB offers different widths

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

I tried a pair of Innov8 212s and really wanted to like them but they were just too narrow in the toe box.
    If you go to the Innov8 website they have helpful information about the different lasts they offer.
    I also like New Balance 101. The new 110 looks good as well. If you want a really minimal shoe similar to the Innov8 212 check out the La Sportiva X country. Their shoes run narrow as well but the X country has a more anatomical last. I couldn't fit in Cross Leathers but the X Country worked for me.

Aaron Reichow

@areichow

Locale: Northern Minnesota

Inov-8 is way too narrow for me. Toe box on the Terroc 330 and Roclite 295 wasn't bad, but the midfoot and heel was dangerously narrow. Which is a shame, since seemed very nice.

Not used the La Sportiva X Country or Cross Leather, but the Wildcats have worked out very well for me. Very stable, wide enough for my 2E feet, none of the annoying heel slippage I encounter with so many shoes.

Josh Greninger

@travis-bickle

I have very wide feet. My foot size is between US 10 and 10.5 (probably a 10.25).
    I wear the Roclite 315s in size 11 and they fit me perfectly. I expected them to be a bit narrow, but they aren't at all.

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

I want to see pictures of feet from anyone who thinks Inov-8s (assuming you aren't sizing up considerably) and even Sportivas aren't narrow in the toe box.

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

as requested:foot

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

About what I expected. Because of the curve from your big toe to your pinky toe, what I would call a wide toe box isn't necessary for you. The widest points of your foot both appear to be around the same location as well, with that being back a fair bit from the front of a shoe.

foot

My toes are a bit more squared off and the widest points are at the ball behind the pinky toe and the middle of my big toe. So far the only company really making an athletic shoe like this is Altra and even then the trail shoe is really too narrow.

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

yep, the widest point on my foot is where the ball of the big toe is, which is typically the widest point on most shoes. I rarely have shoe issues. Foot used to be 9.5 but has spread to 11 nowdays too.

My brother is running trail races in Altra shoes these days in part due to the huge toebox they have, and he likes them a lot.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools