Topic

Lightweight fire pan?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Lightweight fire pan?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Justin Baccary

@justin-baccary

I'm planning a packrafting trip in Canyonlands and boaters are required to carry a fire pan. What is the BPL community's lightweight solution to the firepan requirement? Thanks.

Aaron Martray
    BPL Member

@amartray

Locale: Katabatic Gear

Use a disposable aluminum turkey roasting pan from the grocery store.

Bradley Danyluk
    BPL Member

@dasbin

What is the reasoning behind the requirement?

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

Fire scars, most likely.

Justin Baccary

@justin-baccary

The requirement calls for a minimum 12 inch diameter and 2.5 inch "lip around the edge." It looks like a disposable turkey roasting pan will do the trick. Thanks Aaron!

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

You said boaters are required to carry fire pans? Does that mean no matter what or only if you want to have a fire?

Either way I would test whatever you decide to use, campfire coals are very hot. Wouldn't want to melt a hole through it.

Tad Englund
    BPL Member

@bestbuilder

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I would think a cheap aluminum roasting pan might not do the trick. The bottom would melt out pretty fast with a fire and probably not last for more than one if at all.
    You can totally melt a pop can in a regular fire.

I could be wrong, you could try it at home first to see if it is doable.
    You could take a new paint can and burn in it.

Steve H
    Spectator

@sixstringsteve

Locale: Southwest

Bringing this back from the dead. We've got a kayak trip to Canyonlands this summer and I'm also looking for some relatively lightweight solutions as well.

Requirements:

"A metal fire pan that is at least 12 inches in diameter with a 2½-inch lip around the edge."

Obviously a kayak can carry heavy gear, but I wouldn't mind a lightweight option. We've been thinking of pie tins, motor oil catch pans, steel buckets cut up, gold pans, etc. Any other creative solutions?

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

Can you find a 12" diameter deep dish pizza pan that has a 2.5" high lipped rim?

Scott Musack
    Spectator

@scottm

Locale: Oregon

There is a cool DIY fire pan designed for kayaker's. It breaks down into a nice compact size and can be assembled pretty fast with just a few wing nuts. It's all aluminum and varies in weight depending on thickness of metal you use.

The link is http://kayakcamping.amongstit.com/2010/03/16/the-fire-pan/

There is also some commercial offerings like these at austinkayak and I think NRS.

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Locale: www.bplite.com

Rectangle is more space efficient.Take a look at these:

Extra-Deep Gas Stove Burner Covers – Set Of 2

Extra-deep burner covers provide additional counter space and conceal baked-on messes instantly! Extra deep gas stove covers are made of tinplate and measure 19" L x 11 3/4" W x 1 3/4" H. Set contains two covers.

http://www.wdrake.com/buy-extra-deep-gas-stove-burner-covers-set-of-2-312480&cmp=compare_shop?SourceCode=WDGOOGLESHOPPING&CAWELAID=1350250913&catargetid=1786811185&cadevice=c&cagpspn=pla

Robert Kelly
    BPL Member

@qiwiz

Locale: UL gear @ QiWiz.net

I agree with those who were skeptical of an aluminum foil baking/roasting pan holding up to a hot fire. Tried this once and my wood fire went right through the bottom of the pan. If the pan was placed snug (with no air gaps) against or dug into a trench in cold wet sand, you could probably get away with it.

I have made (for personal use for cold weather backpacking in areas without fire rings) a small fire pan out of titanium foil pieces that are hooked together in such a way that it can be folded and rolled up into a very compact size. Weighs about 4 oz as I recall. If someone is interested in copying the design, I can post a picture. If someone wants me to make them one, please contact me through my site rather than by PM.

For canoe or kayak camping, why not take a wok or a regular steel baking pan and use that as a fire pan, where weight is not so much of an issue.

Brad Branan
    Spectator

@bbranan1

Locale: Northern California

I don't know you can meet the BLM regs and still be lightweight and reasonably priced. I found an option on Amazon which meets regs, will work for the intended purpose and weighs less than a pound (when you subtract the lid weight): http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006SGQFY/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=35V9MXAN0EIXH&coliid=I1HIBTWSPDJF3F

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

Can't find one now, but I've seen designs that use a fire blanket set inside a collapsible metal frame. Light and easy to pack. Might be easy to DIY. Fire blanket won't last forever, but easy to replace. River regulations are often blindly enforced. Once I called about needing a fire pan on a river where fires were banned. Still required, told we might need to build an emergency fire. In 90° F+ summer weather. — Rex

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools