Topic

Solomid pole options

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Solomid pole options

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

I have a Solomid but no longer like carrying trekking poles. What are my options, both commercial and MYOG for some 135cm poles?
    I'm familiar with Ruta Locura's pole sets; pretty good at only 3 ounces/pole, but a pair would cost $100…looking for any other ideas.

Thanks.

Ron Bell / MLD
    BPL Member

@mountainlaureldesigns

Locale: USA

One idea is to take a single 140cm 3 section adj trek pole, maybe an orphan one of a single low priced one from anywhere, remove the heavy handle and maybe even the tip, cap the ends with whatever, plastic bottle cap, etc. and you are good to go. Maybe leave the tip on if needed to fit a pole jack. We need
    adoptorphantrekpole.org

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Craig,

I have a tarp pole that I bought at a used-gear store here in Portland (basically, a cardboard box in the corner with sad old misc. tent pole sections). I got 4 matching Easton 7075 pieces, including one that had a small end-cap for the "bottom" of the pole. Only thing I need to get is a "cap" for the top of the pole, just so it doesn't poke through a tarp. Also, I haven't actually used this yet b/c I do carry trekking poles. I'd try backpacking stores in L.A. to see if you can find a 3- or 4-piece pole that nobody needs.

The four sections are 137.5cm. The top inch or so is the smaller diameter aluminum that seats inside the next pole (just like any regular tent pole).
    Weight: 4.3oz (7075 AL)
    Cost: $4

It would be easy to add shock-cord as you can get the correct pieces that cap off the ends and tie to the shock-cord. However, I don't think you need shock-cord. If you seat the pole sections correctly (as you would with any tent pole), it would be very difficult to come apart, especially tensioned under a tarp.

I'm guessing that shock-cord isn't actually needed for pole strength or stability, but rather merely keeps the whole thing together so pieces don't get lost.

Maybe someone on here knows whether shock-cord adds any strength?

Jason G
    BPL Member

@jasong

Locale: iceberg lake

Ron, while you're here on the topic of solomid. Why does the .55 y/oz cuben solomid cost $75 more? All the cottage bulk cuben suppliers list the lighter cuben cheaper.. At the $340 price point I am hesitant. At $75 more, for what I have to assume is a cheaper fabric, it is out of the question.. If the .55 were $300-340 range I would pull the trigger in a second.. Food for thought..

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Doh!

Thanks Ron!
    Don't know why I wasn't thinking of a single, stripped down pole.
    I still do use mine in winter, so I don't want to pull the grips off/create a single pole out of them.
    But your post reminded me of the 10 year old pair of cheap 145cm Leki's I had in the garage.
    I just pulled off the handle,strap, basket, and added a cap to the end…6.5 ounces now. That'll do just fine. Will also work with my ShangriLa 3 with a 4-6" pole jack.

Single pole looks like it works fine; I'll be carrying my trekking poles in the winter when I'd want 2 poles for the Solomid anyway.

t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

Locale: Southern Oregon

Ruta Locura has carbon that poles that will work as Ron described. Redundant to the original post but a quality option all the same for those who do not use hiking poles.

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Locale: Sierra Nevada North

It sounds like you've already solved your problem, but for the others reading…

Seek Outside offers an adjustable carbon fiber pole (66" max) for $65 and I'm pretty sure it weighs just under 6 ounces. I'm currently using one under my Duomid and I'm very happy with it.

Matt Christensen

@mattc

Check out the poles from Oware. Not super light, but reasonably priced. I have actually never seen them, but I have a pyramid tent from them that is really nice.

http://shop.bivysack.com/product.sc?productId=64&categoryId=-1

Matt

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

Even if you don't use trekking poles, you may want to bring a super-light single carbon trekking pole for other reasons.

It can not only act as a tent pole, but if you have any form of injury, it can help as an additional leg. I know it made a huge difference for me when I injured my ankle on one trip.
    You may also find that it helps with stability when crossing streams, or descending steep and/ or loose terrain.

A few people only carry one to use when they have long ups and downs to help save the knees.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools