Topic

Granite Gear Crown V.C. 60

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Granite Gear Crown V.C. 60

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I'm not in the market for a new pack, but I've been curious about this replacement for the venerable Vapor Trail. It looks like backcountrygear.com has them on sale now. Has anyone used one?

Justice Baker
    BPL Member

@jkokbaker

Locale: Central Oregon

I bought one today on basegear.com with 20% off, should be here next week, can not wait to see it.

Michael Schwartz
    BPL Member

@greenwalk

Locale: PA & Ireland

Justice, I am looking forward to your first impressions, especially of the new suspension system and how the pack feels against your back. I'm sure others will be interested too. –Mike

Justice Baker
    BPL Member

@jkokbaker

Locale: Central Oregon

I will have it tomorrow evening when I get home.

Nathan V
    BPL Member

@junk

Locale: The Great Lake State

There is a pretty thorough review at Sectionhiker.com.

http://sectionhiker.com/granite-gear-crown-vc-60-backpack/

Aaron
    BPL Member

@aaronufl

David Ure

@familyguy

Very nice – what torso size did you get?

Aaron
    BPL Member

@aaronufl

I went with a regular torso. It fits 18-21 inches, and I'm at 19.5, so the fit is great. I've always found granite gear packs (at least the ones I've tried) to be super comfortable, and the Crown is no exception.

David Ure

@familyguy

Aaron – is there any way that you might be able to do a favor for me? I am curious as to the measured distance between the top of the hipbelt and where the shoulder harness attaches to the main bag. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks,

Aaron
    BPL Member

@aaronufl

No prob, David. From where the shoulder harness attaches to the top part of the hip belt is 15 inches.

Arn Aarreberg
    Spectator

@aarrebea

Locale: Northern Bay Area, CA

Aaron, from you pictures the pack looks pretty big, how do you think it would carry a bear can? I have been drooling over this pack, it fits my needs perfectly if it can carry a full size bear vault with other low volume gear.

Aaron
    BPL Member

@aaronufl

Arn,

In the pic I have a BV450 inside and it fits easily. a BV500 or other full size can would be no problem. If needed, the extension collar gives plenty of extra space too.

Another nice feature is being able to take out the framesheet when you don't need it (aka, when I finally go somewhere where I don't have to haul a bear can).

David Ure

@familyguy

Thanks Aaron.

Arn Aarreberg
    Spectator

@aarrebea

Locale: Northern Bay Area, CA

Aaron,

Awesome! Thanks for the info. I think I may be adding this pack to my collection in the near future.

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

Looks like they thinned out the hipbelt padding and probably saved some weight. That's a plus in my book. Their old one was pretty cushy… unnecessarily so. I've always wondered why so many manufacturers and consumers think extra thickness= extra comfort? Thinner is more flexible = more form fitting around the curvature of your iliac crest. Good stuff!

Shane S.
    BPL Member

@grinder

Locale: P.N.W

How tight is the interior hydration pocket? I had to modify my Blaze AC (which appears very similar) hydration sleeve to get a full 3 liter bladder in it.

Kevin Greene

@kgreene

I currently use a GG ozone that I like a lot. I use the expansion collar on it frequently…can someone with a crown measure the max volume from the expansion collar? (I'd love to see a picture of it packed as high up as possible!)

Also if anyone has also used the ozone also I'd love to hear a comparison between the two packs (volume and load carrying comfort especially).

thanks!

Steve B
    BPL Member

@geokite

Locale: Southern California

It will fit a bear canister, but horizontally or vertically? And if horizontally, anywhere in the pack?

I have the old Vapor Trail and my older Bearikade (10.5" long compared to the newer weekender that is 10" long) and it will fit horizontal in the bottom, but only after insertion vertically.

Thanks for your help
    Steve

Ryan Krause

@rmkrause

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I just tried the it with a Backpackers Cache 812 and a Bearvault 500. The BC812 will fit horizontally anywhere in the pack. On the other hand, the BV500 refused to go horizontally anywhere in the pack. Either one seemed just fine vertically.

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

I am a 6 foot male skinny 150 pounds.

Should i order the long torso?

What size hipbelt should i get, do i get to choose for free upon ordering from REI or maybe backcountry.com?

Julie R
    BPL Member

@julier

Granite Gear has measurements for torso and waist belts on their website. I'm not sure about REI or backcountry.com, but you can order the Crown from Backcountry Gear. On their website, they don't give you the option to change out the hip belts, but when I talked to them in the store, they said they would switch out hip belts for free. You may just have to call to place the order. Plus Backcountry Gear has a 20% coupon for a full priced item until 8/8/12.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools