Topic

Melanzana micro grid hoody

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Reader Reviews Melanzana micro grid hoody

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Adam Kramer
    BPL Member

@rbeard

Locale: ATL, Southern Appalachia

have had a love hate relationship with my r1 for a while now. love the coverage, hate the ninja look (my wife wont let me wear it out in public so it becomes a single use, backcountry only item). also wasn't too keen on the slim athletic fit.

Well, my melanzana micro grid hoody just came in the mail (complete with cash register receipt and hand written thank you) and I am immediately digging the fabric, the kangaroo pocket, the versatile hood, and most of all the fit. not athletic, but not oversized either. and the sleeves are not too long. this piece works great as a quick drying outerlayer when moving and a bomber midlayer under a shell. it's ultra soft and cozy so it's also perfect for sleeping in on cold nights. best of all, I am allowed to wear this around town. a great alternative to the Patagonia R1 as it is lighter (11oz, Large) and cheaper ($65 at time of review). Also love that they are from leadville, co. Only thing i miss is the deep zip vent you get with the r1.

Adam Rothermich
    BPL Member

@aroth87

Locale: Missouri Ozarks

Let me just echo everything the previous reviewer said. The fit is great, not tight and not baggy, the sleeves are just the right length, and the pocket is useful.

As for the hood, I was a little skeptical because I hadn't been a fan of hoods in the past but I'm amazed at how well designed it is. For something that looks so simple, it seals around my face well and doesn't obstruct my peripheral vision and moves with me as I look from side to side.

With a windshirt over top I've been comfortable sitting around camp in the 40's. I've also thrown it on over a t-shirt and worn it into the office and walking my dog.

This is easily one of the most versatile pieces of clothing I've bought and for the price its a fantastic value.

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

very light, very warm, very comfortable.

great design. A bit pricey, but worth it for the use I get out of it.

Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@pkh

Locale: Nova Scotia

The previous reviewers have covered all the bases, and I'm not going to improve on them. This is a fine piece of clothing; well designed, well made, and extraordinarily comfortable. Love the useful kangaroo pocket too.Five out of five!

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

Grid fleece is more hydrophobic than standard fleece, but not quite as warm without a shell. Great for cool days.
    Put a wind shell over the top and you have a warm combination that breaths well and keeps you warm in cool light rain.

When worn to bed, the hood can be cinched up so that only the nose and mouth are exposed. This reduces the tendency to pull your quilt or bag over your face which causes condensation inside your bedding.

Wear a light skull cap underneath on really cold nights and the hood holds it in place.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Reader Reviews’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools