Topic

non-woven fabric

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear non-woven fabric

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I wandered across some black non-woven fabric. I think it is similar to Frogg Toggs rainwear fabric, and kind of semi water resistant. I paid one dollar per yard for three yards. Now I have to figure out what to do with it.

I have all of my basic shelter, clothing, and other gear. I might have to make some kind of front porch for the tarp shelter. Any other ideas?

I would hate to have to use it all up on stuff sacks.

–B.G.–

Michael Duke

@mpd1690

Sounds like some pretty interesting stuff. Can you post a picture of it?

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal
    Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

non-woven fabric

It looks like a woven fabric from a distance. Up close, you see that it is a little more like a synthetic paper, but with a fabric texture. It weighs something around one ounce per square yard.

Basically, I found this in a so-called dollar store. It was a laundry bag. I deconstructed it to get the raw fabric. I bought three of them, got the three pieces of fabric, then sewed them together into a sheet about 7 feet long by 3 feet wide.

Right now, about the only thing that I can think of to make out of it is some backpacker's pajama bottoms. That would weigh less than a sleeping bag liner.

–B.G.–

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Eugene, no, this stuff is much lighter in weight.

–B.G.–

Michael Duke

@mpd1690

I think I have seen something similar to this before in a reusable grocery bag. I'll try to see if I can think of a good use for it too.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

"reusable grocery bag"

Yes, I have seen those. This fabric might be a bit lighter than that. It was sewn into a laundry bag, so it is not exactly like tissue paper.

–B.G.–

Colin Krusor
    BPL Member

@ckrusor

Locale: Northwest US

Yes, I've seen reusable grocery bags in a similar material, too. The bags from Trader Joe's have the same pattern of heat-bonded dots and a tag on the inside that says "nonwoven polypropylene". Nylon, polyethylene, and polyester are also sometimes made into nonwovens of this type, but they are more costly. A dollar-store laundry bag is more likely polypropylene, like the Trader Joes bags.

I would guess that the properties of that fabric are similar to tyvek (near zero water absorption, low strength, etc.). It probably isn't waterproof, but if it seems water resistant at all you could consider it for a bivy top or a groundsheet. It might not be strong enough for a garment stuffsack, but might make a good "ditty bag".

I use a fabric similar to that (lighter, white nonwoven polypropylene) for a pillowcase/stuffsack. I made an inflatable pillow but the surface is plastic film, so I put the nonwoven pillowcase/stuffsack over it at night.

David Olsen
    Spectator

@oware

Locale: Steptoe Butte

It is point bonded. Probably nylon. The durable versions are used to line shoes, the
    lighter for grocery sacks etc. Not waterproof likely.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

I finally figured out what to use this stuff for.

Ultralightweight backpacker pajama bottoms.

I had a pattern for rain pants laying around, so I used this non-woven fabric.

They finished up at 2.05 ounces. I probably could have cut them to be trimmer, but they'll be easier to crawl into this way. Just the sort of thing to be wearing when I have to get up in the middle of the night.

–B.G.–

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools