Topic

Fanatic Fringe Thompson Peak

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Reader Reviews Fanatic Fringe Thompson Peak

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Matthew L.
    BPL Member

@gungadin

Locale: Pittsburgh, PA

I have been very impressed with the FF Thompson Peak. While it isn't perfect (I would prefer to give it a 4.5), the simplicity of the design works well, and it gives me just what I need to work with. The pack's sub 11 oz. weight with the optional hipbelt is great and the 3600 cu. in. size is good for my longer trips (I am beginning my search for a smaller pack of 2400-2800 cu. in.) I have been pleased with the comfort of the pack below twenty pounds and very pleased with weights below seventeen pounds. My Nightlight torso pad provides great structure, and the stability of the pack (mine has the effective hipbelt) is very good. I am an especially big fan of the large mesh pocket on the back of the pack and the two smaller mesh pockets on each side. These are great for items that need to dry or for things to keep handy. They are very well designed. I am also very happy with the durability of the fabric. I am very wary to use a silnylon or lighter fabric pack because I am often squeezing through tight areas with many branches that could poke holes or cause abrasion. The heavier nylon fabric is much tougher than other UL packs and also keeps water out for decent showers. The toughness for the weight puts this FF packs in a class of its own. There is not much lighter that uses such durable (for the weight) fabric.

There are some negatives to the pack. The biggest is the rather thin shoulder straps. Another .5 to 1 in. would make the pack able to carry into the twenty pound range and help all loads be even more comfortable. I also wish there was a different pack closure. While the double drawcords close the pack effectively, I would prefer a method that did not leave a small hole at the top (like a roll down). It would also be nice to have some compression from the top be available to further tighten the load. The two compression straps on the sides don't provide too much on there own

Despite these problems, I am glad the weight is as low as it is. They certainly wouldn't be worth adding much weight. I think this is a perfect pack for UL hikers who need a little extra room for long trips with more durability than packs of similar weights. Excellent pack, Fanatic Fringe!

Thomas Burns
    BPL Member

@nerdboy52

Locale: "Alas, poor Yogi.I knew him well."

Ditto to the above review. I added a top compression cord by tying a short length of cord to the upper drawcord, looping it over the top, and connecting it to the lifting strap loop with a small carabiner. Give the top a roll, and the thing is now practically waterproof.

The other missing element is a sternum strap, which I needed because the shoulder straps kept slipping off my chest to my far shoulders. By the end of the day, my neck ached quite a bit.

Thanks to a bit of sewing by my daughter (using the Gossamer-Gear sternum strap), the shoulder straps are now closer to my sternum and the ache has disappeared.

I had to add about .3 oz. to the weight but the Thompson Peak is still the lightest high-capacity BP on the market, so far as I know.

Stargazer

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘Reader Reviews’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools