Topic

Wind-up cell phone charger

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Wind-up cell phone charger

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Andrew Hewat
    BPL Member

@trailrunningco

Has anybody discovered a light and at least moderately efficient wind-up mobile phone charger? The few I have found reviewed elsewhere don't get a very good wrap.
    Thanks

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

Have you looked at this:
    http://www.npowerpeg.com/

Eli .

@feileung

Somebody needs to make a charger that takes advantage of the shock absorbers in trekking poles.

Pete Staehling
    BPL Member

@staehpj1

All that I have seen are way too heavy to be practical for any application where weight is important. I used one on my sailboat and in that application it was fine as an emergency backup. It was one of those things that is also a light and a radio.

The nPower® PEG for example weighs 11 ounces. I could carry quite a few spare cell phone batteries for less weight. An external power pack with lithium batteries would also weigh much less. These can typically run or charge phones via a USB connector.

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

I recommend carrying spare batteries too, but some cell phones don't have batteries that can be replaced in the field.

Andrew Hewat
    BPL Member

@trailrunningco

Yeah the npowerpeg looks like a great idea but the weight would defeat the purpose. I was thinking more along the lines of the 'sidewinder' type little wind-up generators but they get average reviews. I have tried the little solar panels but the one I tried was useless.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools