Topic

Waterproof socks

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Waterproof socks

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Joe O’Toole
    BPL Member

@joe_otoole01

Locale: PNW

So its hard for me to wear anything other than chacos. They are just a perfect shoe for everything but going to the office. I recently found them this spring after converting from some keen sandles. anyway.

I'm looking to keep wearing the chacos as far into the PA fall and winter as possible. does anyone know of waterproof or neoprene tabi style socks that I could wear to stay warm and dry once the weather gets really nasty? I'm using the z/2 style with the toe loop which seems to complicate things from my research.

thanks

wander lust
    Spectator

@sol

neoprene socks will keep your feet warm, but not dry.

I like my nsr hdryskin, with sandals you might prefer the thicker ones though.

A lot of people here love their rocky gore tex socks.

David Goodyear
    BPL Member

@dmgoody

Locale: mid-west

I've used the sealskins and found them to be very comfortable. The make a crew and over the calf style.

Dave

Joe O’Toole
    BPL Member

@joe_otoole01

do you guys know of any that would be compatible with the toe loop strap on this style sandal? aka a tabi sock, or a sock that has the big toe separate from the rest for sandals and flip flops and the like. sorta japanese…

I came across lots of site selling regular socks like this, just not waterproof. otherwise the rocky gor tex or seal skins would be awesome.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

Yeah, I would avoid neoprene unless it's really really wet. You only need goretex for snow. But order them pretty big so you can fit a bunch of socks underneath for warmth.

Tyler H
    BPL Member

@ctwnwood

Locale: Madison

Since the straps are adjustable, you can cinch down the toe loop and just step on it.

I've been comfortable wading with chacos and neoprene socks, but a liner sock is nice.

Still, this look might be akin to white after labor day, if you care about such things.

edit: I think a basic wool/merino sock would take you pretty far too.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

If you have ever watched the show "dual survival", cody lundin walks around in brutal winter climates with just multiple layers of socks. The outer layer gets a bit frosty and frozen, but it keeps him warm. So if it's a dry, cold snow you might not even need waterproof socks

Joe O’Toole
    BPL Member

@joe_otoole01

yeah I guess I can try out tightening down the loop. will be the easiest way for sure.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools