Topic

For me the best hiking shirt is the easiest one

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) For me the best hiking shirt is the easiest one

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Locale: Midwest

I have tried many hiking shirts over the years and found nothing as good as just a regular 55/45 really thin dress shirt in a light color. A good balance of sun protection, bug protection and it breathes, dries pretty quickly, doesn't stink as bad as 100% poly or nylon, is cheap and will get you into about any restaurant. Is there anything out there that in camping gear that compares? Maybe the RR Bone Flats?

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

They are a good choice and I have hiked a lot in them over the years. I have a closet full of them since I have to wear a suit often. Most common is 60% cotton / 40% poly. Thin ones weigh just under 8 ounces.

My Rail Riders Eco-Mesh weighs 7.5 ounces and is 100% nylon. The mesh panels allow it to breath better. It dries faster. It stinks more. But I like it better. Cost? Hands down to the dress shirt. You can purchase slightly used dress shirts at thrift stores for a few bucks. Hard to find used Rail Riders and they are now almost $80 a copy new.

The lightest shirt long sleeve hiking shirt I have is a BPL Thorofare shirt, but I never wear it because it doesn't breath that well for me. It weighs 4.8 ounces.

I have several Rail Riders shirts; Eco-Mesh Shirt, Adventure Top, and Madison River Shirt. I like all of them for hiking.

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Locale: Midwest

My RR Eco-mesh dries faster but does not breather better than the cheap dress shirts by far.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools