Topic

puffy pants: Patagonia MicroPuff or EB 1st Ascent Igniter?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) puffy pants: Patagonia MicroPuff or EB 1st Ascent Igniter?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Matt Mioduszewski
    BPL Member

@water-2

Locale: pacific nw

Insulation on both is 100grams Primaloft 1

Both have DWR

Pata: full length zips
    17.4oz (size medium, I believe)

EB: 7/8th length zips, 2 hand pockets, reinforced butt and knees
    20oz (size large, I believe)

Been sitting on getting either of these forever, any takes on a solid preference/deciding factor for either? Price is competitive between them.. I can get EB on discount with coupons occasionally and have $100 gift card for Patagonia, but price really isn't an issue.

ben wood

@benwood

Locale: flatlands of MO

I don't have experience with either, but if you have the $100 gift card for pata and patas are lighter, I'd go with those. Especially considering they both have the same insulation
    JUst my $0.02

Richard Fischel
    BPL Member

@ricko

I had the micropuff pants and thought they were great, but almost too warm for many situations. When I needed to replace them I went with outdoor research neoplume pants. They use 60 gr of insulation from waist to knees and and 40 gr from the knees down. They are lighter and I thought more wearable than the micropuff pants. The micropuffs were great, just too warm. If you are planning on putting them on and off with skis or snow shoes, don't get the EB's with the 7/8 side-zips.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

The US Army version of the Micro Puffs can be got on ebay for 60USD.

I bought a pair and butchered them in to a pair of Knee length shorts.

Richard Fischel
    BPL Member

@ricko

if you want them in coyote brown instead of green search ebay for *happy suit*

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

What will you be using them for? If active, have you considered the RAB vapor rise pants?

David Olsen
    Spectator

@oware

Locale: Steptoe Butte

"The US Army version of the Micro Puffs can be got on ebay for 60USD.

I bought a pair and butchered them in to a pair of Knee length shorts."

Links?

Richard Fischel
    BPL Member

@ricko

primaloft pants – http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=primaloft+pants+&_trksid=p5197.c0.m627

happy suit – http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=happy+suit+&_trksid=p5197.c0.m627

the ecw pants are made by a number of diffrent manufactureres including patagonia (mars). the happy suit pants are only made by wild things.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Got them on ebay.com

Kevin Peterman
    BPL Member

@kevinp

Locale: Columbus

A little off topic, but I bought the Patagonia Micro Puff pants and was wondering how low of temperature can they be worn while not active with maybe a baselayer and a softshell layer?

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

I got the Micropuffs last year and they're great. The face fabric is very nice. For me, full side zips are key for something this warm.

FWIW I wore the Micros and a MEC Reflex on several occasions last winter, sitting around cooking dinner in temps well below zero (~-10-15 F), and was very content. Same setup took my WM Antelope to -20F in perfect comfort.

Brad Walker

@brawa

Locale: SoCal

FYI, the WT Happy Suit pants come in at 1 lb 13 oz according the WT. They have 4 oz/sqyd (~133 g/m^2) PL Sport insulation.

For comparison, the Micropuffs have 100 g/m^2 PL One and the old BPL Cocoon pants had 60 g/m^2 insulation.

Steven Adeff
    BPL Member

@tincanfury

Locale: Boston

Richard, any idea on weights of the military issue versions?

Richard Fischel
    BPL Member

@ricko

you can find the full spec.s here http://coldweatherclothing.info/spec/PRF/MIL-PRF-MCECPTB.doc including required clo for each garment.

below are max weight and volume for each of the garments that comprise the suit –

Table IV – Garment Characteristics.

Parka Finished Weight and Volume Size Medium Regular 2.2 lbs (max)

Trouser Finished Weight and Volume Size Medium Regular 1.8 lbs (max)

Bootie Finished Weight and Volume Size Medium Regular 0.55 lbs (max)

Parka Packed Volume Size Medium Regular 600 cu in (max)

Trouser Packed Volume Size Medium Regular 390 cu in (max)

Bootie Packed Volume 137 cu in (max) 3/

THe happy suit pants are a warmer, more burly version of the classic patagonia micropuff pants and weight more as a result. things like the material selection, reinforcments, true fly waist closure all add to the total. they may not fit in to everone's light weight gear list, but for the warmth and build quality it's hard to beat the price when purchased as mil surplus.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools