Apr 28, 2005 at 8:11 am #1216107
Brett LloydBPL Member
I’m looking for an *old* poster that Yvon Chouinard was part of. As it was described to me, the poster shows several climbers stretched out on (what appears to be) vertical rock. One of the climbers is a dog, and you realize the vertical rock is just a sidewalk.
Does this description ring a bell with anyone? Any idea where I could buy one?May 5, 2005 at 4:05 pm #1337116
Brett LloydBPL Member
Just to recap, I am looking for an *old* photo or poster that Yvon Chouinard was part of. The poster shows climbers stretched out on (what appears to be) vertical rock. One of the climbers is a dog, and you realize the vertical rock is just a driveway.
Since beginning my search, I’ve learned a few more things:
1. Tom Frost was the photographer
– This is the same Tom Frost who co-founded Chouinard Equipment with Yvon
– Tom is now behind a couple of companies: Frostworks (www.frostworksclimbing.com) and Chimera Lighting (www.chimeralighting)
– FYI, I’ve tried to contact Tom at both companies, and I haven’t heard anything back yet
2. The photo has an interesting history
– The photo was a based on a Monty Pyton skit called, “Climbing the North Face of Uxbridge Road”
– The photo was used as an advertisement for “West Ridge Sports”, who distributed Mountain magazine
– Chouinard Equipment and Class V Equipment may have also used the photo
– The photo was captioned, “Traversing off the Dog Leg”
– Yvon wanted to use the photo for a forthcoming book, but neither Patagonia nor Tom Frost could locate it
– At one point, it was on display (in large format) at a Great Pacific Iron Works store
Any help you all can provide is *very* appreciated. The reason I’m looking is that I was taught to climb by an “old timer”, and I think the poster, suitably framed, would really be a great gift to him. Even if you have no idea where to get a poster, a scanned version of the advertisement or even just more research details would really be helpful.
Thanks everbody!Sep 9, 2005 at 10:53 am #1341407
scott NelsonBPL Member
Sorry, I don’t have the poster you are looking for, but I remember it distinctly. In the photo, the climber is hammering pitons into a crack and seemingly hanging off the rope and slings like all the aid climbing heros of the day. What is great about the photo is that you slowly notice that the dog is laying on the “awsome face” and is tied to a piton driven in a crack.
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.