Topic

Six Moon Designs

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Reader Reviews Six Moon Designs

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    edgar desert rat

@krudmeister

I appreciate SMD’s offering me a discount in the spirit of my benefit for the PCT. I am happy that after much cajoling, SMD did repair all of the gear I purchased. I believe all of the designs are revolutionary. My problems are with the way the products are manufactured. They are made using substandard hardware. The stitching is substandard, and that is across the board even with products I didn’t purchase but saw other hikers using. SMD burned me by saying that they would perform a repair, then not following through. SMD can tell you all about why your product is failing, but has no solutions for the thru hiker on trail. I currently work at what I consider to be a manufacturer of the finest alpine climbing equipment on the market. Over my years working in this industry and inspecting thousands of products I have become aware of how a product should be properly executed. I am also aware of what a customer’s needs are. I offer solutions to their problems. That is what I would want, and that is what I have come to expect. Another issue for SMD to consider is that every happy customer will tell maybe 10 new customers about a product they may not have known about. Once my relationship with SMD started to go south I was very quick to remove all links from my website, trail journal, and to tape over the logo on my pack. I must have told 75 people about my unsatisfactory experience with SMD. I can remember vividly talking with a manager of REI in Portland who was interested in SMD equipment. After chatting with me, though, they had much different opinions on the products. Also if a manufacturer attends long distance hiking gatherings, I cannot understand why they would assert that the product wouldn’t be up to the rigors of the long distance hiker. My standards are even higher now as I believe the long distance thru hiker’s needs are different than those of weekend hikers. This is not to insinuate that long distance hikers are better, just that their needs are different. As a long distance hiker I have come to expect a product to perform day in day out for 4 months, in all conditions, and all types of terrain. I have also learned to trust my own judgment. If a product looks hokey or poorly executed it won’t last. I disagree with the theory that if something is lightweight it cannot be durable. That couldn’t be further from the truth. My experiences with SMD aren’t happening in a vacuum, these were the experiences of many others on trail as well. In a nutshell, SMD designs are revolutionary, just poorly executed.

Luke Ludwig
    BPL Member

@ludwigl

Locale: Minnesota

I have the Starlite pack. A plastic piece broke that connects the shoulder straps to the rest of the pack (provides torso adjustment feature). Ron Moak at Six Moon Designs quickly sent me two new metallic pieces that will not break (and which have an improved design) to replace both the broken plastic one and the non-broken plastic piece free of charge.

Judith A. Gustafson

@wrenotter

Locale: Ventura County

I purchased a Lunar Solo before Christmas, and was pleased to note that I was given a "holiday discount" I didn't even know about. Nice! I examined my LS very carefully and was impressed by how well made it was. I am a skilled seamstress, and if I were making this tent, I could not have done it better. It went up very nicely, and I have sealed the seams. I will be using it on numerous long section hikes this year, the GET, the PCT and the Colorado Trail. My expectation is that this tent will work perfectly for me.

Matthew L.
    BPL Member

@gungadin

Locale: Pittsburgh, PA

I own the Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo and was very happy with the buying process and the shelter. Ron was more than happy to answer any questions that I had, and the product arrived quickly and in impeccable condition. I have been impressed with several of their other products upon seeing them, and I love the care that smaller shops show to their customers. Excellent company and excellent products!

David Neumann
    BPL Member

@idahomtman

Locale: Southern Oregon Coast

I own the Lunar Solo (older model), Essence pack, Gatewood Cape and I owned a Starlite which I used on a JMT thru-hike of 10 days but subsequently sold when I bought the Essence. The Starlite proved to be a little larger than I needed.

I had a minor stitching problem on one strap on my Starlite but it was easily repaired. The other products have all been flawless.

These products are innovative and very lightweight. I believe Ron uses small, lightweight hardware in the spirit of keeping the weight down and with the full understanding that ultralighters will use greater care in the handling of their equipment than the general backpacking community.

Mark Hurd
    BPL Member

@markhurd

Locale: Willamette Valley

I purchase both the Gatewood Cape and the Essence '07 pack from this company. Very responsive, quick shipping, and well made products. I have not had a problem with either item. Concerning durability- Well this is ultralight gear, so the experienced user will treat the gear accordingly. If they do they can expect years of service from this companies products. Mr. Moak enjoys an excellent reputation for his gear and service and I think you will find this to be the case if you search on his products in these forums. 5/5
    -Mark

David Stenberg
    BPL Member

@dstenberg1

Locale: South

I have ordered from SMD a lot and always had no problems. All my questions were always returned in a timely fashion. Ron has also let me cancel two separate orders and return one order with no questions asked. I sent back an item to get repaired and it was done very quickly. I have used the older Comet pack and now currently have a Lunar Duo. I cannot say enough good things about this company and Ron Moak!

James Nelson

@bigmuddy

Locale: Midwest

I usually hike with a group, but prefer my own shelter. I got the Lunar Solo^e and just love it. It has always kept me dry and bug free over many trips from New York to the UP to Colorado. I loved it so much, that I bought the Lunar Duo as soon as it came out so I don't have to hall a "heavy" MSR tent around when I due duo trips. Shipping is quick, and I am sure if I ever have any problems with my tents (there is one ladderlock that looks like it might go sometime) I know I can get them taken care of. I highly recommend SMD to anyone looking for a lightweight shelter, but who does not want to go to a tarp.

Dan Chrisman

@danchrisman

I purchased a Europa (second version) tent from Six Moon Designs about 4 years ago. I backpack the AT with the Boy Scouts about 10-20 days per year and about 20-40 miles per year. The tent remains my ONLY tent. And Ron Moak has responded quickly to my email messages. I am a happy camper!

Siegmund Beimfohr
    BPL Member

@sigbeimfohr

I had a problem with the vestibule peak seam of my Lunar Solo e coming apart. I emailed Ron Moak describing two possible repair variants that I proposed to do myself, asking his advice and requesting a piece of the silnylon used in the tent fly. He responded that it would be better to return the tent so he could do a more extensive repair. Also noted that he'd be leaving in two weeks and I should send it quickly so he would have time to fix and return it before he left.

He had tent less than a week and the repair looks excellent; I am expecting it to be a durable, permanent repair. Communication was prompt and thorough, repair appears top-notch and quick, and he sent me material swatches against the possibility (horrors!) of future patching needs.

This tent is an excellent solo tent and, as I covered in another thread, handles a second small person (child) well.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/xdpy/forum_thread/8262/index.html?skip_to_post=59448#59448

Pat Rabun
    BPL Member

@prabun

Locale: Southwest

I have 2 Lunar Solo`s , a Gatewood Cape , a Europa, and a Comet pack. Needless to say, I love Ron`s designs. They are beautifully designed, well executed, and a pleasure to use. Ron is always responsive to questions and provides excellent customer support.

John Adams
    BPL Member

@scsjohn

Locale: Midwest

I have purchase a couple of products from SMD. I have the lunar solo e and have also purchased the europa II when it was available. I ended up returning the Europa with no hastles.

Both tents were shipped promptly.

Great company to deal with. Well–I guess I should say, great person (Ron) to deal with.

Michael Reagan

@michaelreagan

Locale: Southern California

I have the Gatewood Cape from SMD and find the design brilliant and the materials and workmanship excellent. I also received a quick and useful email response from Ron to a question I had concerning the Cape. I personally would not hesitate to recommend SMD's products to anyone.

Ian Crawford
    Blocked

@joeback

I am a five-time John Muir Trail Hiker and have backpacked since I was nine.

I bought a Gatewood Cape directly from Six Moons. It came with the laziest, most completely useless, and worst-written instructions of all time.

I spent at least twenty hours trying to erect this thing and get it to stay taut, to no avail. I also spent a like amount researching the advice of others on the net.
    A less rainworthy ripoff cannot be imagined.

I made numerous phone calls to Six Moons, never answered phone or called back. Yes, during business hours.

I eventually spoke to a series of weaselly teenagers who had clearly never actually set up one of these things.

I asked for my money back…I had ordered directly from Six Moons…and was told by a "supervisor," who sure sounded like another teenager, that Six Moons would not refund my money. Sent it back anyway, Six Moons never had the courtesy to reply.

I then bought a Mountain Laurel Designs Poncho-Tarp, and it set up easy as pie, and tight as a drum the very first time. I've never had a lick of trouble with it.

Six Moons Design is a sleazy, sleazy company. I urge you all to never, ever buy any Six Moons products.

I.M. Crawford

Barnett Childress

@barnett_childress

Locale: New England

Had a LSe for a while, very nice tent. Ordering was smooth. Was at times short bit of delay in communications but all emails & phone calls were returned.

Hal Potts

@halpotts

Locale: Middle Tennessee

In my first attempt to lighten up I bought an Lunar Solo E and a new Traveller backpack. I was extremely pleased with the quality of construction and the design.

I called SMD to order and request overnight shipping as I had a trip planned the next day. They were most courteous and accommodating and the tent and pack arrived FedEx the next day as promised. I set up the Lunar Solo E according to directions with absolutely no problems. I later called to ask specific questions about seam sealing and my call was answered immediately by a very helpful young man who gave me specific and accurate instructions.

I have used the pack and tent several times already and look forward to many more. I am pleased with SMD and would definitely buy again.

Dave Myers
    Spectator

@patientwolf

Locale: South Western Oklahoma

I ordered a SMD Swift '10 backpack. SMD responded quickly to all of my many questions regarding the pack.

Even though I ordered late in the day on a Friday it shipped that same day and I had the pack Monday.

I carefully inspected the pack upon receipt and was extremely satified with the very high quality craftsmanship. I would definitely recommend SMD to others and look forward to ordering more of their products in the future myself.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • The forum ‘Reader Reviews’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools