Topic

Light Shovel.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Light Shovel.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

I am looking a light shovel for…. shoveling purposes. I have a cold steel special forces shovel, which is pretty light for how big it is, but it's just way too big for most uses. I would use it for many things… digging up worms for bait, digging up the bulbs of edible plants, and the most work intensive thing I would need it for would be digging a dakota fire hole, but that's the biggest. It would be taken on a case by case basis if I needed it on a certain trip/activity.
    Anyways, any recommendations? I am not looking for a potty trowel or an entrenching tool, something in between. Around 1 lb would be a happy weight.

Aaron Benson

@aaronmb

Locale: Central Valley California

I have the Little Dig and could use it for what you want a little shovel for – the Big Dig would work even better; it's light and made by a BPLer, to boot: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=44205

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

The lightest shovel is a digging stick found on-site. :)

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

@Aron
    Thanks for the link, however that is much smaller than what I was looking for.

Yes, I could use a digging stick, however the ground here is sometimes way to hard for that. And when walking around oak savannas, a proper digging stick is not always accessible.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools