Topic

02 Rainwear Rain Suit

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Reader Reviews 02 Rainwear Rain Suit

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Greyson Howard

@greyhound

Locale: Sierra Nevada

I've spent 3 solid days in this rain suit in a storm in Point Reyes, and one in the Sierra foothills. The suit was totally water and windproof, breathed very well (sweat only under pack straps and backpanel), and surprisingly durable on over-grown trails.
    If I was forced to come up with negatives I would like a more subdued color than bringht yellow.
    Really couldn't be any happier with this rain gear.

Dave Heiss
    BPL Member

@daveheiss

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I also have an O2 Rainwear suit. I picked up a pair a few years ago and have been really happy with the performance, but I still wince at the screaming yellow color every time I put them on. It is definately not a color that is harmonious with wilderness camping, but if you need a piece of gear that will keep you dry AND be bright enough for emergency signaling purposes, then O2 Rainwear is the suit for you.
    The fact that a full set (large size for me) weighs all of 10 ounces is pretty sweet too.

Gregory Doggett

@gregory

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

I've been using my O2 jacket( the bright yellow model) for at least 3 years…maybe 4.
    Only just recently when a 50% off deal had me buying an OR Zealot, have I used any other rain jacket during that period. I'm usually an umbrella or poncho-tarp guy.
    I found its durability to be what I would expect from really light gear.My XL size weighs 6 oz..
    I need to be careful…probably don't want to bushwhack if I can help it.
    But I've never split a seam from bending over. I've never split a seam, period.
    Rainwear in this catagory is not what comes to mind when I think durability.
    But I have found the durability of Rainshied to totally eclipse the remarkably pathetic offerings from such out-of-sight-behind-in-the-running companies as have produced recent specimens of deplorable junk under the Dri-Ducks and Drop-Stopper brands.
    I doubt if any Increase You Vocabulary Course could possibly supply me with enough negative adjectives to even harbor a remote hope of expressing my utter disdain at the flabberghasterdly failing of these…well, you get my drift.
    Rainshield O2 has proven breathable enough that I can justify leaving a windshirt behind to make up for some of the extra weight gained by using a shelter system that doesn't do extra duty as rain gear and pack cover.
    The bright yellow color, while in contrast to my usual assortment of drab, stealthy colors, has proven to often lighten my spirits on an otherwise dull, dreary and rainy day.
    If a rain suit in this category is in your future then I urge you to consider the Rainshield O2.
    It is more expensive than its…good grief, can I even get my fingers to type this word!!!…competition.
    And worth every penny of it.
    Greg

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna

I have the Blue jacket, and I love the fabric and generous cut of the garment. I have found it to be a lot more robust than I expected, and totally waterproof and VERY breathable. Just watch out for velcro, as it loves to attack the fabric! The only thing they could add which would make it a FIVE is a decent bill for the hood.

Nate Meinzer

@rezniem

Locale: San Francisco

For those looking for the unbearable lightness of polypore without the durability issues of Driducks–this rainsuit delivers.

Better breathability than goretex (albeit with less warmth) and more affordable.

The two stuff sacks make EXCELLENT overmitts for your hands in a downpour when you wanna keep on pumping out the miles.

Like a commenter above, I hate yellow clothing, so I'm giving it a 4. But seriously, I doubt I'll ever go with a different rainsuit.

Tjaard Breeuwer
    BPL Member

@tjaard

Locale: Minnesota, USA

The design is poor, with a crummy hood that doesn't cover my chin and no bill, short sleeves and body, wide opening at the waist and no articulation anywhere. Wimpy rainflap over a very porous zipper. All in all, this means I don't take it for sustained wear in cold, windy conditions, because I am afraid water will come in though the hood, at my back and through the zipper.

BUT it is super cheap, so I can't complain to much about that.

Durability is poor, but not so much that it becomes unusable in a short time. Years of us/dollar is probably better than anything else, and it is very light.

Fabric feels pleasant against skin to touch but a bit stiff to want to wear it for sleeping or such.

All in all a great option for summer downpours.
    This is were the light weight means you can take it along, even though you don't plan on using it much.
    The fuzzy fabric and good breathability will keep you comfortable, and some leaks along the hood or zipper will dry easily later on.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Reader Reviews’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools