Topic

Snow Peak Trek 700

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Reader Reviews Snow Peak Trek 700

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Adam Rothermich
    BPL Member

@aroth87

Locale: Missouri Ozarks

I’ve had this mug for a little over a year. I originally used it with an MSR Pocket Rocket and it worked very well for boiling water for Mountain House type meals. As I began cutting weight I moved to an alcohol stove, first a pepsi-can type and now a Supercat. I find that with a 3″ diameter, the pot is a little too narrow to provide optimal efficiency because the flames tend to rise around the pot and up the sides. Also, since the pot is taller that it is wide, there is less surface area in contact with the heat, which slows boil time a bit.
    The lid that comes with the pot isn’t made of titanium like the pot, but rather it is made of steel. This adds some unneeded weight.
    Overall, I like the mug. Its lightweight and fits my entire kitchen inside for easy packing. However, since the base is narrow and it is tall, it doesn’t perform very well with my current stoves. I would give the Trek 700 a 4.2/5, but round it down to 4, since there are better mugs out there.

Adam

Johnny Gish
    Spectator

@jtgish

Locale: Colorado

As has been mentioned in the forums the lid on the SP 700 is very heavy. Other than that , it fits perfectly in my Firelite Ti esbit stove. The 26oz capacity is plenty and lets me boil water for my food and for drinking at the same time. 4.7 oz total but you can lose close to half with a new lid.

James Pitts

@jjpitts

Locale: Midwest US

I love this pot and it is all black and scuffed up from all the use it has gotten. It could be lighter but overall it is still quite an outstanding product. I seldom carry it anymore but I think for someone just starting out this would not be a bad place to start whatsoever.

Glenn Roberts

@garkjr

Locale: Southwestern Ohio

While this pot doesn't have the tight-fitting lid of the MSR Titan kettle, it got everything else right. The capacity is plenty for a single-serving freeze-dried meal, the shape lets it easily double as a mug, and the measuring marks embossed into the side make it especially convenient to use. A small fuel cylinder, Snowpeak Gigapower stove (sans box), small lighter, and microfiber handtowel fit neatly into it; there's even a slot in the lid so you can slide the handle of a metal spoon down into the pot. (In a real display of anal attention to detail, they designed their spork so it not only fits into the pot, but the lid handle and bowl of the spork conspire to hold a second fuel cylinder in place on top of the pot!)

My only minor quibble is with the lid: for some reason, it's not made of titanium. (I think, but I'm not sure, it's stainless steel.) I can't think of any reason to shortcut that last step, but they did. It's not enough to worry about, however – thus it wouldn't lower my rating.

Devin Montgomery
    BPL Member

@dsmontgomery

Locale: one snowball away from big trouble

This was the first bit of gear that I bought in my lightweight conversion. Just under $30, plenty of capacity for solo camping (I never could finish a meal that filled it up),includes a lid that drains pasta like a dream, and the collapsible handles stay pretty cool as long as your flames aren't licking over them. This is a great starter mug setup and is roughly 2/3 the price of the next step up – that's especially nice as you start from scratch on your ultralight gear. Great homey feel to it; the proportions make you think you're cooking out of your favorite coffee mug. You can also find one just about anywhere.

The downsides are its height/width ratio (too skinny for most side-burners, less efficient heat transfer) and its heavy (not-titanium) lid. Otherwise, I'd give it a 5. Still, the extra weight/fuel consumption won't matter unless you're trying to go SUL.

Eric Viviano

@lightweightpack

Great pot, works awesome for solo Mtn House meals and such. Drank many a cup of coffee from it as well. Mine is now black and scratched from heavy use. Has stood up well to many cooking over an open fire, as well as esbit stove and snowpeak gigapower. The lid is heavy but drains well.

My gripes are the lid is not titanium, why? And the long tall shape of the pot/cup/mug, whatever you consider it, adds to your boil time.

richard turner

@rjturner

I have used this pot extensively, mainly boiling water. I noticed that inside the pot at it's base there was a reddish powder at the bottom perimeter. I wiped most of it out and can only describe it as rust. I didn't think titanium rusted. Has anyone else experienced this? No harm done I suppose as the pot works fine otherwise.

Greg Vaillancourt

@gsv45

Locale: Utah

The lid from the Vargo mug fits fairly well and it is Ti. I think the SP 700 is a nicer pot.

I switch to an aluminum foil lid unless I plan on draining pasta. The steel lid is really secure as a strainer.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Reader Reviews’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools