Topic

Petzl e+LITE

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Reader Reviews Petzl e+LITE

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    paul johnson

@pj

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest

Rather than repeat here what i've previously written in a Forum Post, i'll include this link to that Thread (that way you can also read other's responses to my initial Post and so benefit from other's opinions also).

I gave this headlamp a 4 b/c of the somewhat less than desirable switch ergonomics (fairly cumbersome one-handed operation, or two-handed for easy operation, required to react the torque of operating the switch) and extremely poor batt life (for bright output), but boy, is it ever bright for the first 30min on fresh batteries! However, i generally want a headlamp that has more than 30min of BRIGHT light output.

However, if one compares it to its current competitor(s), it might rate a 5.

Richard Sullivan
    BPL Member

@richard-s

Locale: Supernatural BC

This light is real beauty. At one ounce even, it's kinda like having a one pound sleeping bag. This is clearly the Western Mountaineering Hilite of headlights. Not perfect, but perfectly good and perfectly lite. The switch would be nice if it was electronic, but then again you would probably reduce the reliabilty.

Too bad for Petzl that e+Lite can't be effectively "Googled". This is because the "+" sign is a boolean operator for search constraints. BIG mistake :)

I eagerly await the electronic version of this light, but until then this one gets a fiver.

Colin Briggs
    BPL Member

@colinpbriggs

Locale: Melbourne Australia

I just picked up one of these for AU$40.00. What a great piece of engineering! At 27 grams it is so light compared with the competition. I must say I don't agree with the other reviwers regarding the switch. My old headlamp had a slide switch which was a real pain as it would always get bumped on in the pack. The E-Lite switch is very unlikely to do this. Batteries for the e-lite retail in Oz at AU$4.35 ea. Given that I only use the headlamp for about an hour each night and usually only get away for about 40 nights per year then I expect to get a years worth of use from a set. Pretty cheap compared to the cost of fuel used to get to and from the trips!

Matthew L.
    BPL Member

@gungadin

Locale: Pittsburgh, PA

After receiving the Petzl E+Lite for Christmas, I have become quite pleased with its performance over the last couple of months. I felt that I no longer needed the power of the Tikka Plus that I was using for most trips so I wanted something very light but with waterproofness beyond the splash-worthiness of the small task lights that are so loved by many. I was less concerned about the strap of the light because I simply wanted to clip it to my hat. Here are my findings:

Positives:

Very lightweight (especially without the
    strap and case). It weighs .59 oz.
    and that is very close to the smaller
    and less powerful task lights
    I felt the switch was easy to use with
    my bare hands for lightweight gloves
    The light output on high was excellent
    especially when used sparingly (like
    a "boost" mode.
    The light output on low was useful
    around camp and under my tarp for
    finding things.
    I loved having the red LED as well. Now
    I don't need to bring a different
    colored filter to stargazing events.
    The clip fits my different hats very
    securely
    It is effectively waterproof through
    hard rains and submersion.
    The strap fits well when I use it.
    The ball joint adjusts well (more than I
    need)
    Battery changes are easy

Negatives:

I would like to see battery time on high
    increased. The strength doesn't
    last more than 12-15 minutes. After
    a break in use it does increase some
    again.
    The switch could be simplified to save
    some weight.
    The ball joint has been great, but it
    is more than I need. Will it be
    durable over the long haul?

All in all, it is a great light that is
    very light while providing more light
    than others in its class.

JASON CUZZETTO
    BPL Member

@cuzzettj

Locale: NorCal - South Bay

This is a great light. I bought it for hiking but I took it with me on a 4 day camping trip the other day. What I liked most it gave us plenty of light late into the night. My wife used it for hours reading late into the night around the campfire. I just purchased another one for my son. He will be using it on a mini-backpacking trip with the Boy scouts at Angel Island in a few weeks. He borrowed it a few times and likes it better than the Zipka I handed down to him. You can't beat if for the $30 US price and I get another $3.00 on my REI dividend!

Unlike others I actually found that on the brighter setting it was harder for me to make out terain features durring my late night 3-4 mile walks with the dog. So I found the lower light better. It is a great light and I will be purchasing 4 more this summer for the rest of the family.

***Addition (2009)***
    This has been a great light for work too. I use it on the airfield or on the cargo plane for filling out documents. It makes a great necklace light too. Easy for reading read outs and not bugging my companions on those 40 hour flights overseas (cargo planes are slow and flight crews need rest. Great light though. rarely have needed to replace the batteries and used my first one for hundreds of hours now.

Craig Shelley

@craig_shelley

Locale: Rocky Mountains

I don't use a light often. I try to get by with moonlight and starlight. If you need to use a light much, this lightweight headlamp of just 28 grams (my measured weight) may not be such a good choice.

Because I haven't used a light much, I stopped using headlamps and started putting a single LED light of 7grams in my pack. I found it was generally sufficient. I just wasn't willing to pack a typical headlamp of almost 3 oz in my pack.

But, there were a few times that I wished I had a headlamp. They weren't that frequent, but they did happen. The e+Lite is the best compromise I have found. I now frequently take it along on my trips.

As far as batteries go, I suggest you get them on eBay cheap. You probably have other electronic items that use the same battery.

Adam Rothermich
    BPL Member

@aroth87

Locale: Missouri Ozarks

Like Craig, I don't use a light that much, mostly just for chores around camp that I can't preform with only moonlight. As such I was tired of lugging around my "heavy" 3 oz PT Aurora. When the switch on my Aurora went on the fritz I took the opportunity to lighten up. I've used pinch lights in the past, but really like having a headlamp. The e+LITE is the perfect solution. Its light enough to make me feel warm and fuzzy inside but is plenty bright to do things around camp and has all the functionality of a headlamp.
    The rotary switch is a little tough to get out of the lock position with just one hand but that also keeps it from turning on in your pack if you ditch the carrying case (which I'm sure most of us would :)).
    I haven't had a chance to use it for night hiking, but judging from others' comments and my own observations, I wouldn't want to try anything off-trail with it. I would probably be comfortable using it on well-marked trails but its beam doesn't throw very far and isn't blindingly bright. Just another trade off of extremely light gear I suppose.
    Overall I've been extremely impressed and pleased with the e+LITE.

Adam

Thomas Knighton

@tomcat1066

Locale: Southwest GA

I got caught out past dark, and my e+Light really saved my butt. On maximum, it was enough to help me find my way for the next couple of miles to get to camp, and help me set up. I didn't notice any significant drop-off in brightness either, unlike others have noted. I'm not sure why though, since even Petzl seems to confirm this.

Now, basically, it just works like it's supposed to, but couple in the weight of .95 ounces, and that I can clip it onto the bill of my OR Endura cap if I so choose, and the selection of settings that this bad boy has, and it's a five in my book!

Dylan Taylor

@nevadas

Locale: California Coast

This is a nice ul light with a lot of cool options and great versatility. the only downside to it is that it is not as bright as you may want when travelling at night and with a new moon.

two trips in particular over the last year highlights this-

one in yosemite while cross country skiing out to glacier point 'round midnight with no moon. a couple of times on the downhills i couldnt see more than like 15 feet in front of me–i basically just pointed it straight and hoped for no major obstacles (b/c i wouldnt have had to time to correct)

the other was at lost coast. the daylight cut out a bit sooner than i expected and the darkness that sets in in those tight gulleys is black black black. hiking up out of there that night, on a trail that was spotty, had me wishing i had sucked up the extra what: 2 ounces? and had the tikka. i think i was a bit scared too b/c as i was heading back out on the trail i had just come in on, there was steaming scat from some type of feline right there on the trail… i was hoping only a bobcat and not a cougar.

aside from the brightness issue, i like the red light to save night vision when that is necessary and the lower light setting to save batteries when in or around camp for energy conservation.

all in all, a 4.

Kevin Sawchuk
    BPL Member

@ksawchuk

Locale: Northern California

I really love this light for around camp chores/eating. It isn't quite enough for hiking even when around my waist.

I'd like to see a bigger difference between "dim" and "bright". This might help preserve battery life for when I needed it on trail.

I'll carry a heavier light when I really need brightness.

Ryan Hutchins

@ryan_hutchins

Locale: Somewhere out there

Overall I like the E-Lite as a versatile headlamp. The small size and weight are awesome. I agree the switch could be better, but I like that it basically locks when off so it can't be turned on accidentally. I find the light output suitable for around camp chores, cooking and walking (haven't hiked fast with it so I can't say there.) as well as writing in a journal or trip log. Battery life was fine for a twelve day summer trip, and spare batteries are super light.

The swivel seems weak to me, and I would love to see the whole lamp encased in glow in the dark plastic so I could find it easier.

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)

Also – THe RED light option is really nice. I find I use it a lot to save batteries.

It works great for ALMOST any purpose in the dark. Go ahead and try using it exclusivly. The red light really works!

Steve M
    BPL Member

@steve-2

Locale: Eastern Washington

About as light as you can get for a pretty good headlamp. Can night-hike with it on the low/red setting if you have VERY good night vision. Would like to see a slighty larger single AAA (Lithium) version with brighter LEDs.

PROS: Weight = 27g, single red LED
    option, 360* angle adjustment,
    removeable strap, attachment
    clip, cool adjustment switch.

CONS: 2032 batteries limit light
    output and 'burn' time.

Update: Another reason to have a red LED—night hike in heavy fog. Just returned from said hike. Lessons learned: red light allows you to see the trail whereas the white LED bleached out the view—like driving with high beams on.

Mike Hinsley

@archnemesis

Locale: England, UK

I consider it an essential part of a lightweight toolkit based on the conditions that I expect. The red LED is great at night.

The e+Lite is ideal for around camp but you'd be mad to use it as a night for navigation in all but dire emergencies.

I have a hierarchy of lights that I take with me. I always have with me a keyring LED light (without keyring) that is always worn around my neck as part of a 1 oz Emergency Kit

In easy terrain (such as lowland) I'll carry an e+ lite as a camp light. If I'm expecting to do night-walking or am in upland terrain then the Petzl Tikka Plus comes with me.

I always like to have the 1oz Kit around my neck – in case a pack is lost or a light falls out of it whatever happens. I like to save that light for emergency use – so that I have maximum battery life in it.

So, the e+ light at 27g (without case) is just great for camp use and of course if the battery runs out then the keyring torch can replace it up to a point.

A little O/T but the point of this is that by using the e+lite for hiking we are pushing it into areas that it wasn't officially designed for and like any piece of kit, recognising the limits is an important bit of using stuff intelligently.

Art Sandt

@artsandt

There is always a compromise between battery life, brightness, and weight in headlamps.

The Petzl e+ is no exception, but its set of compromises is really intriguing. It weighs only a shade under an ounce. The continuous burn time listed by Petzl is 45 hours, though they don't specify which brightness or color setting. So far mine shows no sign of dimming. I received this as a christmas present last year and was really surprised by it. Granted it's not really bright enough to hike a faint trail with, but it's plenty for around camp use and watching where you are stepping on a trail that is well raked.

I really like the mechanical switch. Soft touch push-button switches on electronics drive me crazy. However, do we really need all those strobe options? I guess it could come in handy, but for my uses, all I use is ON, OFF, DIM, and RED. At least with the mechanical switch, it's easy to skip past the unwanted functions.

The closest competition to this would be the Photon Freedom microlight, which weighs something crazy like a quarter of an ounce and has variable brightness settings. If you wear a hat, the Photon Freedom clips to the bill and becomes a headlamp. Really, they're both great, but I think the e+ is a little brighter and has a more focused "flood" of light, whereas the Photon Freedom is more diffuse, less bright. After all, the e+ does have three white LEDs instead of just one.

Miguel Marcos

@miguelmarcos

Locale: Middle Iberia

I can't add much more than what's already been said. I will say the design and versatility of this device combined with its light weight are an unbeatable combination. I find it superior to the Photon because of the flexibility, though I still think Photons are great for what they are. I would buy another one if I lost it or it got stolen.

dave hollin

@backpackbrewer

Locale: Deepest darkest Wales, boyo

Because this is so screamingly light, you can just put it in your backpack permanently even if just doing a day hike. The trade off is the performance and burn time but i feel that the weight, and ability to have white and red light just makes this such a winner

oh and i use it for cycling with as well as a back up to my light set

love it

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Just to get my experience into this thread here is a Link to what I posted in G Spot.

And you'll see other comments as well.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

I really like the e+Lite. It's surprisingly bright and I appreciate the red light functionality in the tent. On high, this light is nearly as bright as my Tikka yet it weighs 1/3rd and has additional functionality like the red light and clip. This is an great headlamp for working around camp in the evenings.

My measured weight is 27g including two batteries and extra batteries are 2.9g each. For a weeklong trip you'd probably want to bring the extra set of batteries for a total weight of 33g or 1.2oz.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

I thought I had added my review earlier on this lamp, but hadn't :) I've been very impressed w/ this diminutive lamp- if you're looking for a lamp for hours of night travel- this isn't the lamp. But if you're looking for a lightweight lamp that will handle camp chores, reading and in a pinch night travel- you'll be well served by the little e+lite

Steve Davis
    BPL Member

@stevendavisphoto

Locale: SF Bay Area

This thing is great. I used it for the first time on the Skyline to the Sea trail. We started the first day really late so ended up hiking in the dark under dense tree surroundings. This headlamp did well, though it could be brighter. I'd say it can handle anything you throw at it, except for maybe really rugged/dangerous terrain at night, but for nicely manicured trails and camp use, it's the best option. At less than 1 oz, it's gonna be my go-to headlamp. I also love that I can attach it to my wrist while I sleep at night. Get it now!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • The forum ‘Reader Reviews’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools