Topic

Poles: What are you all buying when you don’t have $170 to shell out for LT4’s?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Poles: What are you all buying when you don’t have $170 to shell out for LT4’s?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Chris Morgan
    BPL Member

@chrismorgan

Locale: Southern Oregon

Hi all, just wondering what people are buying these days, when they don't have the $170 to spend on LT4's+shipping.

Lighter = better

Thanks!

Mat Tallman

@wehtam

Locale: Midwest

Is adjustable length a necessary characteristic of a trekking pole for you?

My solution was making my own, but they are fixed-length (made from golf club shafts).

Very inexpensive, relatively simple to make, and quite light at around 4oz each.

t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

Although I have heard good things about the many carbon fiber poles, I know my early model Ti-goats crumbled after less than a hundred miles.

I will admit to being a bit rough on poles:-) So I go for the slightly heavier/cheaper aluminum ones.

Chris Morgan
    BPL Member

@chrismorgan

Thanks, I should clarify –

If I can't do better than $100 total and 8oz each, I'm going to bite the bullet.

Adjustable is nice, but not necessary. Though if forced to pick between the LT3s and LT4s, I'd probably spend the extra money.

I don't care which locking system, so long as it works.

Josh Leavitt
    BPL Member

@joshleavitt

Locale: Ruta Locura

We use much stronger upper and lower shafts now, versus what was used in our early models. The upper shafts have a warranty against breakage.

Stephen Bodiya
    BPL Member

@stephenbodiya-com-2-2

Locale: Michigan

http://ww2.sierratradingpost.com/s/featherlight-poles/
    With the most recent deal flyer ad from STP (EB062311B), they are $70.

These are the same as what the most recent version of the BPL Stix were. BPL no longer carries them, but I absolutely love my STIX. I'd contemplate replacing my Stix in the future with these poles, but I'm also a big fan of myog golf shaft poles.

My graphite poles + hot glued leki tips + some 5" fishing grips weigh just over 3oz apiece. Depending on what shaft you select they will have more or less flex. AND they only cost $20-30 total if you scrounge around garage sales and thrift stores!

I haven't seen myself missing adjustable either over the last 3 years after switching from an old REI Peak UL set.

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

How about these:

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/4683,1761X_Komperdell-Bamboo-Carbon-Ski-Poles.html

Non-adjustable carbon with "retro bamboo finish". Lists at 11oz/pair but can remove straps + baskets.

BPL Member

@rememberthelorax

If I do not have the $170 to shell out for LT4s I just keep saving until I do :-D

Chris Morgan
    BPL Member

@chrismorgan

Thanks all, I think I'm gonna try the BD Distances – 5.5oz each no straps and $70 on sale!

Roman Vazhnov
    BPL Member

@joarr

Locale: Russia
    Paul Osborn

@bcoutdoors

I like my collapsible altus light ascents. 8.5 oz each and i paid less than $50 for the pair.

Mark Dijkstra

@markacd

Fizan Compact poles weigh less then 12 oz for a pair, are adjustable and cost about 80 USD. They're quite rare though. I imported mine from the UK.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

wally mart poles for el cheapo …

plenty of people use em fine …

$170 will buy me stuff i need more … like beers for many days

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

with today's STP 45% off coupon, $54.97

Chris Morgan
    BPL Member

@chrismorgan

I'd nab those Featherlites, but they no longer have any 130cms.

I also have a pair of walmart poles, which are great as a backup, but they weigh 10.5 oz each! Once you've used 4 oz poles, it almost feels like a workout to lift those things!

Sumi Wada
    Spectator

@detroittigerfan

Locale: Ann Arbor

SunnySports.com has the Black Diamond "Distance" poles on sale for $69.95. These are aluminum. The 130cm is 12.7oz for the pair. (The "Ultra Distance", which are the carbon fiber version, weigh 9.7oz for the 130cm pair.)

I tried both in person and I thought the aluminum ones were light enough for me (11.7oz for the 100cm pair for me). Got mine at Moosejaw; they price matched sunnysports.

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Be aware that ultralight trekking poles do not handle the abuse that heavier ones can.

If you tend to use your poles for full support in a fall, you can break them. I have broke many, but I use my poles much harder than most.

The ultralights are good for people who don't put all their weight on there poles and maybe only use them as extra legs on slopes or stream crossings

I have had very good luck with the least expensive Campmor/Komperdel poles. They are as light as most $100 poles and have proven to be very durable.
    They do slip out of adjustment from time to time, but it is a gradual slip over several hours, so not a problem at all.

I do not recommend the inexpensive Campmor/Leki poles. The tips are tempered steel and wear out much quicker than carbide. Also, the click lock joints make an annoying clatter when you walk. This is probably good when you don't want to surprise any bears on the trail:-)

Tohru Ohnuki

@erdferkel

Locale: S. California

+1 on making your own out of golf club shafts. The only problem I can see is sourcing the eva grips ala gossamergear's and that the shafts may not be long enough for taller people (+120cm)

Larry Dyer

@veriest1

Locale: Texas

I use some old fashioned BD's. They're heavy but tough and take all of my 190ish pounds regularly with only a slight give.

If I were buying new poles today I'd seriously consider the new collapsible BD poles that are made using avalanche probe technology. I'd go with the non-adjustable ones since I never adjust my poles anyway once they're deployed (I move my hands instead).

I've seen Komperdell poles take some serious abuse too. They were picked up for under $40 off of Sierra Trading Post.

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

I know of at least one case where the new BD poles have fractured at the joints.
    I think in one case both poles broke when a hiker slipped, putting all his weight on the poles causing both to snap and him getting injured in the process.

I personally want poles that can handle a trip/slip/fall, but I think this is probably not a requirement for most.

Richard Fischel
    BPL Member

@ricko

it's great to be able to shorten your pole when going up hill and lenghten them when going down. one of the places i like to do training hikes has a section with a couple of hundred *stairs.* while an extreme example, adjustable poles are a knee-saver especially if you are double poling.

Larry Dyer

@veriest1

Locale: Texas

Was that the carbon or aluminum BD Distance Pole that fractured? I've heard of this with other carbon poles and from the way you describe it ("fractured" and "snap") I'd suspect they weren't aluminum.

My BD Ergo Cork poles are heavy but tough and aluminum.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

The BD binary joint is a weak point even on the aluminum poles. I snapped my aluminum pole that way, but it was snowshoeing without snow baskets. The pole sunk and my forward momentum snapped the pole at the binary joint. The double flicklock BD is all I would buy from them.

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Hey Larry,

I'm pretty sure it was the aluminum model of the new style BD pole.
    I have broken a few poles, carbon and aluminum. I have never had a break at the joint.

This tells me that the joint is the week spot on these poles and if you look at them closely, you can see why. There isn't a lot of overlap at the joints. My guess is that it could be the same weakness with carbon and aluminum versions.

This is not the case with other BD models. They usually have a good reputation for durability.

I wonder about other poles with the avalanche pole design?

Be aware that they snapped because of a hard fall. So it isn't that I don't recommend them. I think they are probably rugged enough for most people.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools