Topic

tiny BIC lighter (the cute one)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Reader Reviews tiny BIC lighter (the cute one)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)

The TINY BIC lighter

WEIGHT: only 0.4oz !

These are the LITTLE version, and they are easy to find at the gas station cash register.

Cost : about a buck

This is the cute version that is 2 inches tall, NOT the standard 3 inch version.

Get a bright color (yellow or orange) so you don't loose it in a camp-site kitchen.

And most important – remove the CHILD PROOF thingy! Take a pair of needle-noze plyers and put it in the hole where the fame comes out. Pinch the end of the "tab" that covers the "roller" and yank it out! (this'll make sense when you inspect your lighter) Use the plyers to bend back the itty-bitty "prongs" that get bent during this modification.

Some folks will say don't take a lighter, because it won't work if it get's wet. The solution is easy: DON'T LET IT GET WET!

– and –

(text below added march 08)

I N S T R C T I O N S :
    removing the child proof tab:

1. Take a pair of needle noze pliers an push the tip into the little hole, pointing toward the wheel thingy.

2. Squeeze the micro tab of metal UNDER the two tabs.

3. Yank up!

4. You should now be able to manipulate the metal "band" with a little wiggling.

5. Use the plyers to fold the two tabs back down. All done.

douglas girling
    BPL Member

@dgirling

Locale: Adirondacks

I agree with Mike these lighters are great if you REMOVE THE CHILDPROOF STRIP ON THE THUMBWHEEL, otherwise they are difficult to use when your fingers are cold.
    I always keep 2 with me – one stays as an emergency backup in a small waterproof ziploc. Never had a problem in 5 years of using these.

Cornelius Austin

@nealaustin

Locale: Minnesota

I have tried everything from matches to the fire steels and most of the durable lighters never worked well. The BIC in the pocket and the back-up (never used) BIC vacuum sealed in the first aid kit have never let me down. Been using them for over 10 years now.

Brett .

@brett1234

Locale: CA

I carry various types of fire making gear for my own educational and practice purposes, but I always have one of these 11 gram bics taped to my keychain or in my pot set. They won't flame when soaked, but they will still spark, so you could get alcohol, a propane stove, or tinder-quick going.
    Currently I'm not in CONUS, so I got these surface-mailed in my care packages. Since I only use them for field use a pack of a few will last years, I suppose.

These are not the lightest way to make a spark, but they might be the smallest/lightest liquid fuel torch; especially for the cost. If I only carried one fire-making implement this would be it. Likewise, this is my first recommendation for primary fire-making. Carry it in a A8(tiny) ziplock.

Al Shaver
    BPL Member

@al_t-tude

Locale: High Sierra and CA Central Coast

One in a snack zip-loc in my beer can pot and another in my repair zip-loc. I've used them in the rain. Just ensure that your thumb is dry before you spin the wheel. And yes, do remove the adult-proof tab.

Zac H
    BPL Member

@zhiedeman

Locale: SW MT

If they get wet, just let the flint dry out and it will work again

Michael Reagan

@michaelreagan

Locale: Southern California

I like the light weight and the general reliability of the mini-Bic, but I have a few issues with them.

For one thing, they are WAY tiny, which admittedly is generally a good thing for ultralighters, that is until you reach the point of diminishing returns. I think the mini-Bic's have gone a bit beyond that point as I find them difficult to hold on to, especially when my hands are cold andI'm feeling a bit dexterity-challenged. Their tiny size also means my poor cold digits are more likely to get burned as hold the Bic's fluttering flame up to a hard-to-light Esbit tablet for the 10 seconds or so required for ignition. The flame also has ZERO wind resistance and goes out quicker than a paper match in just a puff of a breeze. The fuel capacity is also very small, which is a concern if you're having to use it to torch the above-mentioned safe and sane (and presumably fireproof) Esbits over an extended time.

Finally, like any mechanical device, the striker/flint portion can fail, leaving you without fire if the Bic is the only firestarter you have brought. I've had them do just that (fortunately, I had backup fire) which is why I don't trust them completely.

I'm sure most hikers here know to bring more than one means of firestarting along on every trip, and a mini-Bic can be fine if you take that precaution. I just don't care for them myself and thought I would share my grumble.

Michael

John Fry

@m6amba

i am about to use a mini-bic as my primary means of firestarting on a 4day trip this weekend, up to this point i have relied on a flint and steel, and some tinder tabs
    i have also carried a regular bic in my pack on everytrip in my repair/first aid ziploc, but have never used them, this trip the good ol FNS is getting a break and the mini bic is going to work!
    (im going with 3 other guys, and only myself and one other plan on being UL, the other 2 guys are gonna have about 4-5 different ways to start a fire…lol

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Reader Reviews’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools