Topic

Adding a lower grip to your T-pole

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Adding a lower grip to your T-pole

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

A trip to the local golf course pro shop revealed their excellent system for adding grips to shafts about the same size as those on trekking poles. Bicycle grips are OK for 3/4" diameter, but this pole was only 5/8".

I wanted something really sturdy, not just wrapped tape, for the area of the pole just below the top grip. These were Komperdell Carbon DuoLock poles that I like very much, as they seem to have a good strength to weight ratio, and don't collapse unexpectedly like many of the alloy poles do.

We removed the top section of the pole, and removed the end cap from that, and the golf pro put something lengthwise over where the grip would go that looked only a little like masking tape. Then he cut the top off a club grip replacement. They had lots of grips to choose from, probably with various weights. Then he poured a milky solution over the tape and the inside of the grip, and using much force, slid it onto the trekking pole:
    T-pole grip
    He had the good sense to put it on so it tapers thicker further down, so my hand won't slip off, even though I thought it would look better the other way. Total cost -$6.
    Highly recommended IMO.

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

I use the tape designed for racing bike handlebars. It's super light and easily had at my local bike shop. Many friends have also done this.

If you look close at my avatar you'll see my bicycle tape.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools