Topic

Trip planning help eastern us or near Sedona

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Trip planning help eastern us or near Sedona

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Dutch Anderson

@silveradodutchman

Locale: Central Florida

Looking to hake wife (new to backpacking) on a trip this summer. Thinking 2-3 nights out 3-4 days hiking. Suggestions?

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

Sedona AZ? Most areas around Sedona's Red Rock/Secret Mountain are for dayhiking, though there's some backpacking if you care to go upstream, it's mostly canyoneering ("swimming" with a pack) – wouldn't be an issue for experienced backpackers, but maybe a little much for a newbie.

The Dogie trail is further west from Sedona's main touristy hiking. it is regular backpacking for a couple days with short mileages. Desert hiking which drops into a riparian area before going back up into the desert. There's a high, rocky high trail at the end if you want to loop back to your vehicle, … or just retrace your steps back like we did.

I have no pics from that trip, so I'd have to ask my ex-girlfriend.

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

There's the Sycamore Canyon Wilderness southwest of Sedona. Access from Clarkdale/Cottonwood.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Sycamore Canyon is pretty excellent. A real hidden gem.

If you're adventurous, going in warm weather and have a shuttle, hiking Oak from the top is even more excellent.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools