Topic

Help Choosing b/w 2 Sleeping Bags

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Help Choosing b/w 2 Sleeping Bags

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Jeremy Parker

@parkrat

Locale: Tennessee

I bought a Sea-to-Summit Trek 1 sleeping bag (19 degree) last month and it looks pretty awesome. I am considering exchanging it though for the Marmot Plasma 15 degree bag because the Marmot only weighs 1lb 14oz and the Sea-to-Summit weighs 2lbs 6oz. I am going on a 2 week NOLS lightweight backpacking course in the Rockies by the way. Anyone know about these 2 bags and if the Sea-to-Summit is worth the extra half pound?

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Locale: Michigan

The Sea To Summit bag isn't worth carrying an extra half pound. The Marmot Plasma, while a nice bag, isn't worth the "extra" nearly $100 over a Western Mountaineering Ultralite (which is also 2-3 oz lighter). If you want super duper warm, super legit 15*F bag, even a WM Apache at 2 pounds (same as a Plasma 15, which is 1# 15.96oz) is still about $60 cheaper. Nicer bag, too, IMHO.

Jeremy Parker

@parkrat

Locale: Tennessee

I figured that the Sea-to-Summit was not worth the extra weight. I've heard really good things about the WM Alpinelite and Ultralite as well. The trip actually only requires a 20 degree bag so I think the Ultralite will be perfect. The weight diff b/w the sea to summit and Ultralite is even bigger than the Marmot, so I will prob do the WM. Thanks for the help.

Any more input from others still appreciated too.

Chris S
    BPL Member

@bigsea

Locale: Truckee, CA

One other thing I'd check is the size of the WM vs. Marmot. I don't know anything about the specific bags you mentioned, but when I was researching some 30ish degree bags the one downside of one of the WM bags (summerlite) that was mentioned by multiple people was that it was tight and a bit claustrophobic. Might not be an issue with the Ultralite, but worth looking into.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools