Topic

What happened to pack liners?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) What happened to pack liners?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Locale: San Jose, CA

My sea to summit pack liner finally wore out after perhaps 20 trips. However I cannot seem to find them any more :(
    Have they been discontinued? Is there another company that makes something comparable? (ultralight, dry bag closure, 65 liters)

Jeremy Platt
    BPL Member

@jeremy089786

Locale: Sydney

Hi Chris,

Most people on this site either use garbage bags, or thin ones like these: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/process.

You could probably use a big silnylon or cuben bag too, but I am not sure about a sea to summit style replacement.

I hope that helps!

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

It's listed on their website under pack protection with several places selling it. Also try google products.

chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Locale: San Jose, CA

Yeah it's on the sea to summit page, but all the distributers are out of stock on the large size.
    Thanks for the other options, I'll check those out.

Richard Peters

@rhpeters

MEC in Canada also sells pack liners.

http://www.mec.ca

Chad “Stick” Poindexter
    BPL Member

@stick

Locale: Southeast USA

I recently had Joe (from ZPacks) make me a cuben fiber dry sack pack liner. Envelope shape, 18×36 (about 39 L) and due to the taper of the envelope shape, it fits beautifully inside my Circuit. And since Joe sews his cuben I had to seam sealed it. 1.7 oz before, 1.8 oz after. However, I then added a little more at the corners and it tipped the scales at 1.9 oz.

I did a review and a video and posted it on my blog. Check it out here:

http://sticksblog.com/2011/05/16/zpacks-cuben-fiber-18×36-dry-sack-pack-liner/

I had to contact Joe to get a price for it and use the custom button to order it. He can make them in whatever weight cuben you prefer as long as he has it in stock. I had mine made from the 1.26 oz/sqyd black cuben.

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)

The hefty trash COMPACTOR bag is cheap and easy to find at any grocery store.

At 2.2 ounces, these white bags are a fool-proof way to TOTALLY waterproof the contents of your backpack.

Peter Griffith
    BPL Member

@litesmith

Locale: Litesmith.com

A member here, Lawson Outdoor Equipment, sells cuben pack liners. I think the largest is 40L but he will probably make a larger one for you. Check it out…

http://lawsonequipment.com/All-Products/Mountainfitter-Cuben-Fiber-Drybags-p508.html

Of course you can also use a trash compactor bag which is a little heavier weight plastic than a trash bag.

Chad “Stick” Poindexter
    BPL Member

@stick

Locale: Southeast USA

Since Lawson has revamped his store he has focused his attention on getting his tarps lined up so I think his dry sacks have been put on hold for a while. Last I checked he only had some 8×16's left on hand. I wanted to get one of his dry sack "pack liners", but he wasn't taking orders for them which is why I asked Joe to make the one I now have. However, Lawson tapes his cuben rather than sew it so that is cool. I am about to get another smaller pack and I would love to get one of his dry sacks to use as a pack liner for it…maybe he will have them going again soon.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools