Topic

Windshirt/Rain Jacket/Redundant Clothing??

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Windshirt/Rain Jacket/Redundant Clothing??

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Erik Dietz
    BPL Member

@erikdtz

I've been reading on the gear forum and most everyone seems to favor the windshirts, probably due to the low weight and versatility. However, I'm having a hard time separating what they do with what you could do with a rain jacket. I'm doing the JMT August 4th and while I don't have a complete picture as to what my clothing looks like yet, I don't want redundant clothing. As of right now, I plan on bringing (not counting what I'm wearing): an extra wicking long sleeve shirt, extra running shorts, Patagonia Nano Puff, rain jacket, long john (bottoms), extra pair of ankle socks and briefs, beanie and gloves (?). Sorry, I don't have the weights yet but will post shortly!

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Scott Truong
    Spectator

@elf773

Locale: Vancouver, BC

I've had the same thought, tried one just to find out for myself and pretty much agree with you. From my experience, I tend to dislike sweating with any nylon on and end up taking it off right away.

I haven't hiked much above 10,000 ft, maybe it's different at higher elevations in windy conditions, the rockies etc.

I find my driducks performs the same role that my windshirt did. Though it's not a complete waste, I like to use my windshirt in the city, biking etc.

IMO, if you have a rainjacket that breathes well, eVent or whatever, then I think you're good to go without a windshirt.

I like 150g (lightweight) merino wool. Aside from the anti-odor benefit, I don't mind sweating in it as it keeps me warm even when wet and dries good as new without getting crusty.

Ken
    BPL Member

@scienceken

Locale: Western Oregon

I use driducks and still carry my Columbia Titanium windshirt into the rainy Oregon Cascades. They layer well and the windshirt provides protection during light rain so that I don't have to stop and put on my driducks jacket. This works well for me so far…

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

Windshirts have one major advantage over a rain shell, no condensation.

The windshirt is a lot more usable. It improves warmth dramatically at very little weight cost , but doesn't allow moisture buildup. Moisture buildup reduces warmth.

I repeatedly read the argument that wearing a breathable rain shell works just as well and is dual purpose.
    A breathable rain shell will rarely if ever breath as well as a windshirt and so force you to open up pit zips, front zip or whatever to release this moisture. By opening the rain shell you are reducing the warmth by allowing wind to blow through your insulating layers.

In theory, you may feel compelled to wear more insulation layers under a rain shell, increasing the weight you carry.

I wear my windshirt in everything and only throw the rain shell over the top when rain gets really strong. I rarely wear the rain-shell in snow.

The combination of the rain shell over the top of a windshirt is dryer and more comfortable than the rain shell alone.

A windshirt can weigh anywhere from 2 to 4 oz depending on your options. I'd say it provides more worth per ounce than anything else I carry.

Erik Dietz
    BPL Member

@erikdtz

Steven,

Would you recommend I bring a windshirt along with a rain jacket and all the other clothing I mentioned above? Or is there anything I can cut loose?

Brendan Swihart
    BPL Member

@brendans

Locale: Fruita CO

I think it depends a lot on the trip and where you're hiking. I always take a windshirt, but rarely bring a rain jacket. The only time I bring a rain jacket is if I know that I'm going to be hiking for hours in the rain, especially in colder weather. Usually the DWR on my windshirt is enough for showers and I can seek shelter or use my groundsheet as a wrap/poncho if there's any surprise downpours (never has happened yet).

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

Hi Eric,

I have never hiked the JMT. But have hiked the rockies, Uintas and Wasatch range. The weather is similar and can very a lot.
    You'll usually be hot during the day, but it can occasionally get dangerously cold, wet and windy.

Read some of the posts in the gear list forum.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools