Topic

CAMP Magic Anorak Input/Help!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) CAMP Magic Anorak Input/Help!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Stefano Prezioso

@stefprez

Hello everyone, first real post here!

Quick background, I have never officially gone backpacking, and only have one real day hike under my belt. I'm an avid climber though, so that results in quite a bit of hiking and exposure to the elements.

Anyways, I just picked up an REI Windstill Jacket at their Anniversary sale for $50. It says windproof to 50mph and has a DWR finish with a hood. Full zip, two zip hand pockets, and a zip chest pocket. Anyways, I literally haven't even taken the tags off when I came on here and found out about the CAMP Magic Anorak on sale for $30. Not only is it cheaper, but my REI jacket weighs 16 ounces, and that's a hair over 3! I'm in no way trying to go super-mega-ultralight here, but 13 ounces is pretty significant.

I'm wondering if the CAMP Magic Anorak is "windproof" or just "wind resistant" and if the latter, is it enough, or has it left you desiring more from your wind layer. Any other input from owners would be greatly appreciated! I've got a trip to Yosemite in a week, and I'd love to get all my gear nailed down before the Friday flight, so fast help is greatly appreciated! Thanks a lot!

Dan Quixote
    BPL Member

@dan_quixote

Locale: below the mountains (AK)

it's pretty windproof. I haven't worn it in rain, but I'm a big fan: it's probably the best value in windshirts you'll find, at a fantastic weight. If your big into the pockets and full-zip, though (and fit into the available sizes), the full-zip might meet those functions as well.

it's possible I'm the main advocate of this piece of gear here at BPL though. But, for <$40 bucks, it hard to go wrong!

Stefano Prezioso

@stefprez

Thanks for the reply! I've heard it runs on the small side. I'm 140 lbs, 5' 9". I can wear smalls if I want a tighter fit, but usually I wear mediums. All the have left is a smalls and mediums. Do you think I'll be okay, or will this be a bummer when I get it in the mail? Thanks again!

Brad Walker

@brawa

Locale: SoCal

In 5'8" 150 and small or medium depending on brand. The medium in the anorak fits me well. The downside IMO of the anorak is the tight elastic on the waist hem which felt restrictive to me and required contortions to get it on or off. I cut it off and installed a drawcord hem like the jacket has.

Stefano Prezioso

@stefprez

Thanks Brad! That was what I was looking for to pull the trigger. :) Hopefully this gets here before my Yosemite trip! Thanks for the fast input everyone!

Thomas Budge

@budgthom

Locale: Idaho

Where is the CAMP anorak on sale for $30?

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools