Topic

Canister stoves with preheater tubes and attachments

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Canister stoves with preheater tubes and attachments

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

Aside from the obvious winter time advantages are there any other advantages to this type of stove?

Does it help in draining the last bit of fuel from a canister using the inverted position?

I am very close to ordering one of Huzefa's stoves. I don't usually hike in very cold weather but we will be hiking in SW Virginia during the last week of September and the first week of October this year.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Party On,

Newton

Ken K

@thefatboy

Locale: St. Louis

I'm watching this one with interest. Most canister stoves lose some flame quality and the boult time slows as the canister empties. I'd be curious if flipping the can would also keep the speed/quality up.

I bought this stove for all the other benefits… Larger pots. Can use a windscreen. Less "tippy". And most importantly, price. The pre-heater is a bonus.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"Can use a windscreen."

Have you ever had problems using a windscreen on a regular canister stove? I haven't.

–B.G.–

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

You could have a shorter windscreen which could save an ounce maybe

Seperate burner is closer to the ground so there's a little less wind

Richard Fischel
    BPL Member

@ricko

"Have you ever had problems using a windscreen on a regular canister stove? I haven't."

i think there's some reluctance in using a wind screen for fear that the canister will be inadvertently heated to an unsafe temperature. i've never worried about this. if anything, i'm happy for a little extra heat on the canister. With a remote canister, this would not be a problem.

Stuart R
    BPL Member

@scunnered

Locale: Scotland

"Does it help in draining the last bit of fuel from a canister using the inverted position?"

No, gravity does not drain the canister, it is the pressure in the canister that is required to force the gas out through the jet in the stove.

The pressure in the canister depends on the temperature and the mix of propane/butane and the propane/butane mix depends on the starting mix and whether the canister has been used upright or inverted since full.

In short, propane and pressure are preserved when the canister is used inverted, propane and pressure are lost when the canister is used upright.

There is a whole article on this called "The Effect of Cold on Gas Canisters"

Ken K

@thefatboy

Locale: St. Louis

>> Have you ever had problems using a windscreen on a regular canister stove? I haven't.

I've never used a windscreen for two reasons.

1: Worried about excessive heat build up in the can with larger pots. Unfounded?

2: I prefer the larger cans of gas. I'd need a windscreen 10 inches tall or better. Too lazy to build one, and I don't want to carry that much extra weight.

The remote can stove sounds like it'll take care of the concerns, even if they were unfounded. It also shaves an ounce from my current stove.

Paul Tree

@paul_tree

Locale: Wowwww

Seems like overheating with a windscreen would only be a problem if there was no wind…

Tinfoil is pretty light, same as for pot lid.

I am getting one of these stoves because it's really cool to have bpler gear, it's lighter and half the price of WindPro too. The bigger burner on the windPro is a tiny bit more attractive for frying or simmering thick stuff, but hey.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools