Topic

Sawyer 3-way vs. Squeeze Bottle

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Sawyer 3-way vs. Squeeze Bottle

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Terri Wright
    BPL Member

@ncalcamper

Locale: SF Bay Area

I'm vacillating. I've purchased a Steripen Opti for my JMT hike this summer, but because I'm attracted to the fill and go (vs. fill and stir) that the Sawyer filters offers, I'm thinking about trading in my Steripen for a Saywer. REI has the 3-way and the squeeze bottle. Do I really need t he 3-way and all those attachments? Couldn't I just use the squeeze bottle and cut into my a Platy drink tube? Also, the squeeze might be good for some other purposes?

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Terri,

Not completely familiar with the water bottle you are talking about, but I am guessing it is a Sawyer filter that does not strain out viruses and is in a bottle.

If that is the case, you can easily splice the Sawyer filter into a hydration system into the drink tube.

I have two friends who have done that and it works well for them.

They fill their hydration bladder with dirty water and filter on demand.

If this is the old black colored Sawyer filter then you will need some hose clamps at each end of the filter to attach it to the splice in the drinking tube.

The only issue you might find is that the suction you will need to pull water through the Sawyer could be annoying.

Expect good sips of water with a little bit of effort but don't expect to be chugging water down as fast as you can inhale it in.

I have been using the Sawyer as my sole filtering system for three or more years with the same filter.

Works great for me as a gravity filter.

As an inline filter, I would recommend that after drinking a liter of water, you might want to back flush the filter by simply blowing a puff of air back up the hydration tube to force clean water back through the system.

Just doing that two times a day, depending on the quality and clarity of the water you have, will keep the flow of the water moving freely and constantly.

Otherwise, the flow will slowly decrease to the point where you will really have to blow really hard to back flush the system.

Better to do a little bit of preventative work when it is easy.

Hope that helps.

-Tony

Bart Godefroid

@bjgodefr

I have basically the same question: I'm in doubt if I should buy the sawyer '3 way inline filter' (sp122) or the sawyer filter with bottle (sp149).

– I wonder what the weight differences are between the sp122 and the sp149 if you consider just the filter cartridge.

– And which filter will hook up most easily to the platypus hydration tubes?
    (I've read in the post above that the sp149 needs hose clamps)

I would use the filter in between a dirty and a clean bag as a drip system.

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Bart,

I believe that the new version of the Sawyer inline filter, which I am not using, called the SP122 includes all the parts necessary to splice the filter into the hydration tube. And in that sense, it is superior to the old one that I am using.

I believe that it would make sense that the SP149 with the squeeze bottle is using the same filter, unless they are putting the old black colored Sawyer filter into the squeeze bottle. (See my user review on BPL for photos of the older, black colored Sawyer filter)

Note: the main differences between the old black colored one and the newer filter are two (that I am aware of). 1. The new filter is sealed so you can not open it up to poke around the insides and damage the plastic hollow filtering tubes. 2. The input and output "ends" of the new filter are designed to have quick disconnects or attachments to plug in to allow for easier couplings/splicing into hydration tubes.

In either case, not matter which filter is in the bottle, both would work fine.

Maybe someone who is using the newer style Sawyer filter could give us their insights as I am one generation back using the older filter????

-Tony

Terri Wright
    BPL Member

@ncalcamper

Locale: SF Bay Area

Hi Tony. Thanks for the feedback. I've looked at your extensive review http://tiny.cc/ofop7 and note the feedback about sucking in this post
    http://tiny.cc/np9g8 I appreciate you bringing the sucking issue up because it's something that I haven't thought about. I do like to chug water when I'm thirsty. Question is, will I stay more hydrated by continually sucking (slowly) on water so I don't need to chug? Vacillating!

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Terri,

Not all is lost if you want to chug a ton of water!

You might have to consider using your Sawyer filter also as a gravity filter.

Having filtered water waiting for you in a 1L Platypus means you can chug away to your heart's content.

While hiking on the trail, you can certainly use the Sawyer as an inline filter…but when you stop for lunch or at the end of the day, you can easily convert to a gravity filter.

So that means chugging in the morning, lunch time, and in the evening…..but while hiking and on the go, you just have to deal with THE SUCK. :)

Doesn't have to be one or the other….just flexibility built into your setup.

-Tony

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools