Topic

Clipped flashlight vs headlamp – how secure and user experience

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Clipped flashlight vs headlamp – how secure and user experience

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Brian Johnson

@sirclimbsalot

Locale: Midwest

I'm interested in some feedback before I make the decision between something like a Zebralight H31 vs small flashlights (ITP A series, Maratac).

First question is on lighting/lumens: How many needed for trail(obvioulsy at night), off-trail, and rough terrain like class 3? This helps clarify my decision for what I need for a "medium setting" – many lights will provide enough on high, but not for the required duration, and without overheating.

Secondly, how secure is the clipped flashlight? what are the limitations on activity (running, light climbing, etc.).

For thoes who went from a headlamp to a clipped flashlight, how is vertical adjustability? Obviously is is somewhat limited compared to a headlamp but how much of an issue is it? Do you need to buy a light with greater spill to accomodate the change? In short, I'm looking for user experience and the pros / cons from those who went from headlamp to clipped flashlight. Thanks!

Chris Kopp

@ckopp

Locale: SoCal

I'm interested in feedback on this as well.

JASON CUZZETTO
    BPL Member

@cuzzettj

Locale: NorCal - South Bay

I have used both and prefer the headlamp to the clip lights. Especially when night hiking or traversing through brush. It is really embarassing loosing your flashlight when you leave it on your hat, break trail all morning, and then need to take a late night pee… Also – if using it, please secure your bear spray. A couple safety pins do not weigh that much.

At least the smaller headlamps can be put in the pack or worn as a necklace when not in use.

Brian Johnson

@sirclimbsalot

Thanks for the feedback Jason. So, do you carry just a headlamp? Or both? I still wonder it I should carry both. An ITP A3 is less than an ounce – sounds attractive to have a light source more handy for times when I have the headlamp in my pack….like when stoping to make camp at dusk.

Brian Johnson

@sirclimbsalot

….instead of a headlamp? Thumbs up/down?

Thanks,
    BJ

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools