Topic

Insulating layer

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Insulating layer

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Nate Davis
    BPL Member

@knaight

Locale: Western Massachusetts

Depending on the trip, my 3 season baseweight is between 8-10 lbs. I hike comfortably, eat comfortably, and sleep comfortably. But around camp… I'd like to be warmer.

I currently pack a 9 oz (size L) Arc'teryx fleece. It's pretty warm for the weight and is plenty of insulation for most mid-summer trips in New England. In the shoulder seasons, though, it leaves me wanting more.

I love the flexibility that fleece gives me around camp. No need to keep it dry, no need to worry about snags while getting water or collecting firewood, and no need to worry about sitting to close to the fire. Anyone know of any warmer fleece jackets out there that manage to keep the weight down?

Assuming that's a negative, I'd still love some advice on synthetic-fill and down layers. I'd love to avoid adding more ounces to my pack if possible, which has me looking at down, but it seems less convenient for around camp, as it'd take a lot of extra effort to keep it dry in poor conditions.

In the shoulder seasons, I tend to hike with a smartwool midweight layer. Would a good vest be enough to keep me warm? That'd be good news, as it would allow me to cancel out some of the weight of a more convenient synthetic.

What works for you all?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools