Topic

Polyethylene vs Polycro for ground sheet

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Polyethylene vs Polycro for ground sheet

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Justin R
    Spectator

@5150bronco

Locale: Bay Area, Ca.

What are people's experience or opinion using either plastic. Thanks.

I know they are pretty similar just want to hear your thoughts.

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

Polycro is more compressible, lighter, more slippery, and more puncture resistant.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Yesterday I "finished" my new polycro footprint for my TT Moment.
    New to the material I discovered that, despite its high puncture resistance, it will tear from the edge much more easily than polyethelene, especially where there are any ragged edges from cutting. NOT good!

REMEDY: I took my Lowe's window wrap polycro and "edged" it with the tough double-sided tape that comes with it. I laid the tape down about 1/2" in from the edges and folded them over the tape to make a "taped hem" that is very strong.

I also put 4 small pieces of duct tape wrapped around the corner edges and melted small holes in them for Triptease cord & little plastic clips to clip them to the Moment's ends corners. This is to keep wind from moving the footprint.

Sounds nerdy but, like Mike Clelland says, ya gotta get a bit nerdy on yer equipment at home to save weight and/or make life on the trail more conveniant. And I'm all about trail conveniance.

JP
    BPL Member

@jpovs-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2

Locale: Arrowhead

Robert Justice
    BPL Member

@rjustice7

Locale: Central Texas Hill Country

To be honest, I'm not a polycro fan. I purchased a polycro ground cloth from Gossamer Gear and I found it stuck to me which was annoying. Also when I got to folding it up to put back into my pack, a lot of junk stuck to it.

I haven't used the other ground cloth you mentioned but I started using tyvek recently and I'm quite pleased with it! Nothing sticks to it, and it folds up nicely and fits in your pack each time with no hassle.

Justin R
    Spectator

@5150bronco

Locale: Bay Area, Ca.

well maybe I can try this stuff out and see how it works.

Anybody else have experience let me know.

I believe polyeth is heavier than polycro, but we will see how it works.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools