Topic

Golite Dakota Windshirt–Any Thoughts?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Golite Dakota Windshirt–Any Thoughts?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    David Drake
    BPL Member

@daviddrake

Locale: North Idaho

Thinking about the Golite Dakota windshirt. $48 w/ 40% off coupon. Listed at 4 oz, but I'd get a small so maybe a bit lighter?

Anyone use one?

http://www.golite.com/Product/ProdDetail.aspx?p=109002110&mc=&t=&lat=

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

Hi David, I have and use a Golite Wisp, which is the predecessor to the Dakota. My wisp (mens small) weighs about 3 oz…which I think is pretty light for a non-hooded windshirt. If the weight hadn't changed when they released the Dakota, I would have fully supported your decision to purchase it. Its a great windshirt, but now that they use recycled materials, and bumped the weight up to 4oz, I no longer think its that great. For 4 oz, you can find a hooded windshirt for around the same price. Try this one:
    http://www.backcountry.com/marmot-trail-wind-hooded-jacket-mens?CMP_SKU=MAR1661&MER=0406&CMP_ID=SH_FRO001&mv_pc=r126&mr:trackingCode=E22216DC-F061-DF11-9DA0-002219319097&mr:referralID=NA

The marmot Trail Wind is a remake of the old marmot ion. I also own a marmot ion, and think its a stellar windshirt. Considering that the marmot trailwind and the golite dakota both weigh the same, and cost roughly the same (remember golite will charge shipping, but Backcountry wont since the jacket is over $50) I would go with the the hooded one. My 2 cents

*EDIT SHOOT SORRY David, only the larger sizes are on sale for $52, so now i'm not so sure. My feelings about the weight remain true, and I think for 4 oz, look for a hooded one…but if its going to a cost a lot more, you might as well get the cheaper one. iono :/

Alternatively, if you like the color yellow, you can get the non-hooded version of the trail wind, for $45 which also weighs 4 oz.
    http://www.6pm.com/marmot-trail-wind-jacket-dark-yellow

The benefit of this jacket over the golite dakota is that this one has a full zip and still weighs the same as the dakota. I suspect the specs are off somewhere though…I don't understand how the hooded vs nonhooded trailwind can both weigh 4 oz.

Robert Cowman
    BPL Member

@rcowman

Locale: Canadian Rockies

The Dakota is stretch woven and fits much better than the old wisp(very short and weird elastic in the waist) Its a solid windshirt. it has a deep zipper for venting and is recycled.

the tail wind wets out pretty quick and even with the vents on it gets pretty clammy running.(I've owned trail wind pants and Hoody, 2 wisps and an ether from Golite)

My houdini and Nine trails are what I use for climbing and running, but the Dakota is my go to for backpacking.

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Michael Skwarczek

@uberkatzen

Locale: Sudamerica

Thanks Rick, that was a great tip for a, seemingly, good product at a great price. I just grabbed the Anorak for my g/f and step-daughter.

cheers,
    -Michael

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

trail wind is not very breathable …. it aint awful … but it no where near where a good windshirt shoud be … its not much better than event or thin windstopper IME …

also its a tad less durable than i expect it to be … ive had to patch and seam seal the holes from belay and very light climbing use

i would not buy another one unless it was on a super duper el cheapo sale

Walter Carrington
    BPL Member

@snowleopard

Locale: Mass.

Thanks for the info Rick. Just ordered one. –Walter

David Drake
    BPL Member

@daviddrake

Locale: North Idaho

Thanks everybody, esp. to Konrad and Robert for the detailed analysis. CAMP jacket looks nice for the price, but I think I want DWR. I actually don't like using hoods much, so prob. wouldn't miss it.

I'm dithering a little. I like what Golite is doing with recycled materials, and hope enough early adopters will create a market for lighter recycled fabrics down the road–maybe that's wishful thinking. I'll probably wait a few days, see if the Dakota is still in stock. If not, wasn't meant to be, and I'll look at other options.

Jason Elsworth
    Spectator

@jephoto

Locale: New Zealand

Has anyone used the North Face Verto? 3.2 oz in Pertex Quantum with a hood.

John Whynot

@jdw01776

Locale: Southeast Texas

I just purchased a Verto, as I wanted a hooded windshirt. Haven't worn it on the trail yet, but so far I like it. I like the fit — much better than the Houdini I tried last year. The hood has no drawstrings to flap in the wind, and the cuffs are snug.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools