Topic

Knife/tool help

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Knife/tool help

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Jarod Fleming

@flemdawg1

Locale: SE US

I've been perplexed by a gear system problem, so I decided to leverage the nerd-alytical types that hang out here.

Problem statement: need a tool(s) to accomplish the following functions:
    cut cheese blocks, 2.5" thick
    cut slices of cotto or hard salami or peperoni
    cut masonry twine
    pick up pots full of boiling water from stove
    Open cans of tuna
    Cut moleskin or duct tape

Total costs: <$100

Current solution: Leatherman Juice CS4 (152g/5.4oz) and a p-38 can opener. The extra can opener is because the opener on Leatherman tools sucks. I thought about replacing the Juice with a Micra shaving 2oz but I still need to carry an extra can opener. Or should I get a UL swiss army knife (they normally come with a passable opener) and a Ti grabber. Does Gerber or another manufacturer make an UL tool w/ a decent opener?

Brendan Swihart
    BPL Member

@brendans

Locale: Fruita CO

Why not take pouches of tuna instead of cans? lighter packaging and you don't need a can opener. use bandana or clothing as potholder and get a victronix classic or wenger esquire (better scissors) at .7oz.

Tad Englund
    BPL Member

@bestbuilder

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Jared, I only use the Swiss Army Knife (SAK) classic at 0.7 oz. It can do most of the above:

Cut cheese- shave the cheese with the blade or cut all the way around the block either way the job is done

Hard salami etc- stick the blade straight into the "log" and rotate it around, works like a charm

Cut twine- the scissors on he SAK classic are better than a blade for this- I do it all the time.

Pick up pot- install a Ti spoke for a bail and use a stick, problem solved.

Tuna can- I use tuna in foil pouch so I don't have this problem, before that I carried the p-38 (I bent a few in my time)

Cut moleskin/duct tape- the scissors work best here

Of course you can justify why you need a multi-tool but that is a mental not physical decision.

Save almost 5 oz and dump the multi-tool!

Jarod Fleming

@flemdawg1

I've done the bandana-as-a-potholder thing and truthfully I'm a klutz and frequently burn myself sloshing boiling water around.

Robert Cowman
    BPL Member

@rcowman

Locale: Canadian Rockies

3 items

msr titan pot holder(1.0oz)
    cheap coghlans can opener (0.3oz)
    classic swiss army knife.(0.7oz)

2oz for three items if you want to do all those things

Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

Locale: Greater California Ecosystem

switch to a titanium pot, pick it up by the rim, where there is no boiling water.
    No tools required.

Bring a small knife with smaller scissors for the other tasks.

Jarod Fleming

@flemdawg1

I usually take pouches, but they are not always available in the desired size or varieties (canned smoked ham doesn't come in pouches, most pouches for chicken are 10oz at my store (too big), sometimes I have to resupply in towns near the trail and it not available at all).

Shane S.
    BPL Member

@grinder

Locale: P.N.W

Check out the Leatherman PS4. Scissors, pliers, knife, screw drivers all for 2 oz.

Mike In Socal
    BPL Member

@rcmike

Locale: California

Might I suggest a different approach? Either get rid of the stated problem (ie the "need") or change the problem itself. If you are willing to spend up to $100 to drop maybe a couple oz, then it might be cheaper to keep your current solution. If the goal is to further lighten your load, then you can still keep your current solution and get rid of something else in your gear system (and it wouldn't cost $100). The Leatherman Juice CS4 is a nice tool but then again, I also like to get and play with new toys, uh, tools.

If you group the needs by function, then you have cutting, lifting, and can opening.

I like Cameron's idea. Switch to a titanium pot (no lifting tool needed) and use a smaller knife like the Derma-safe blade for cutting and continue using your p-38 for can opening.

By the way, I just got the Micra. The one thing I don't like (and it's a big deal to me) is that there is no tool that is outside-accessible. I have to unfold it to even access the knife.

Jarod Fleming

@flemdawg1

I saw the GSI Microgripper but couldn't get it without paying as much for shipping as it would've cost. I wasn't able to get one at the local outfitter unfort.

So I made my own from a silicone mini-muffin pan. Combine that witha small folding knife, and the P-38 can opener. I now have all 3 for 1.3 oz. Yay me!New knife, canopener, pot holder combo

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools