Topic

tunic/quilt VS elephant’s foot plus jacket

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) tunic/quilt VS elephant’s foot plus jacket

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    will sawyer

@wjsawyer

Locale: Connecticut

help me try to make a decision:

I'm planning on some fast and light hiking/running trips this summer, including an unsupported attempt at the Long Trail (for those of you in NE). I'm going to make some form of sleep insulation for these out of 2.5oz climashield and thaisilk.com silk (unless anyone knows of anything lighter?) for lows of 45*-50*

I could make a full quilt and include a slit in the middle so that it can convert into a tunic/poncho for wearable insulation.
    OR, I could make a half bag and buy a very light jacket, say a MB Exlight.

I don't think I will be needing mobile insulation very much, maybe early morning hiking, but then I wouldn't really want to wear a down jacket.

What are your thoughts on the merits of a full quilt that converts into a wearable layer, VS two pieces?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools