Topic

sunglasses/glasses case?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) sunglasses/glasses case?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Barbara Karagosian
    Spectator

@barbara

Locale: So Cal

Any recommendations for a case for my prescription sunglasses and also for my prescription regular glasses? I'm thinking something either padded or with hard sides. Thanks so much.

Eric Thompson
    BPL Member

@er0ck

Locale: PNW

just saw one the other day someone made out of reflectix like a pot cozy.

DIY?

i've just been using a soft stuff sack type thing that came with another pair…

Richard Gless
    BPL Member

@rgless

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

If you're not comfortable with a MYOG out of padded packing material, you might take a look at REI. I found some very nice semi-hard to hard sided cases under 2 oz there. Another MYOG option is lightweight plastic tubing for protecting fluorescent lights. Cut to length and put tape or something over the ends. There are a couple of threads about glass cases on BPL, but I don't know how a hard they will be to find.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Steve B
    BPL Member

@geokite

Locale: Southern California

I was thinking the same, needing a lightweight case. But I only need reading glasses, so instead I have ordered some of wallet glasses at i4ulenses.com

Very light weight, very compact. Not good for sweaty noses, but for reading in the tent they should work great.

Steve

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

Speaking of glasses. Where are my glasses? Difficult to find them without them on.

I use an old Maui Jim case (the glasses have been long gone). It is material sewn over foam. Very simple. I find hard cases to be too heavy when a light foam protects them well enough.

Barbara Karagosian
    Spectator

@barbara

Locale: So Cal

Thanks for the suggestions. Hard cases are both heavy and bulky. Myog is a good option. Will post what I decide on.

Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

Locale: Western Washington

I have been waffling between the Granite Gear sunglasses case, at 1.6 ounces, or a MYOG bubble-wrap one similar to the camera case mentioned awhile ago. Wasn't sure which would win out, laziness or cheapness.

Terry Trimble

@socal-nomad

Locale: North San Diego county

Take your glasses with you see if the fit inside the Granite gear case if you buy one.

My oakley sunglasses would not fit inside the case or my Rayban progressive glasses. So I own two of the clam shell compression molded foam zipper oakley cases to protect my investment on my expensive glasses. The case are tough as nails and you can compress stuff around the capsule shaped case in your pack.
    Terry

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools