Topic

SUL Pack Closures: Drawcord vs Velcro Roll-Top vs Buckle Roll-Top vs ??

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) SUL Pack Closures: Drawcord vs Velcro Roll-Top vs Buckle Roll-Top vs ??

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Here There
    BPL Member

@cowexnihilo

I'm working on a Sil prototype for a SUL pack and am wondering what is your favorite style of closure for the top.

Right now I'm leaning towards drawcord (a la zpacks) or velcro roll-top (like the GG Murmur), but would love to hear of any other innovative ideas that might be out there.

Dan Johnson

@seattle

Locale: PNW

I would think drawcord would be the quickest but a roll top would allow to have the opportunity to carry a little more supplies when needed.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I like Velcro

If you fold the top over it's waterproof

If you want to get in the pack when it's wet, you unfold it and open the velcro and there's no wet fabric above the opening dripping into the pack

I've tried draw-cord but didn't find it as good in the rain

Hendrik Morkel
    BPL Member

@skullmonkey

Locale: Finland

SUL Buckles and closure a la Laufbursche huckePACK. Everything else is suboptimal.

Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

Locale: Midwest

Watched your video on packing it. Are the buckle straps long enough for when you might have the collar fully extended? They appear to be pretty far down the pack.

Other questions on the pack:
    What type of expandable mesh are they using on the pockets? They seem to stretch forever.
    Is the z-lite necessary since you also have the "burrito" mat inside for structure?

Eric Thompson
    BPL Member

@er0ck

Locale: PNW

i've been pondering this in some drybag TYPE setups i'm thinking of making.

i like the roll top with buckles down the side of the HMG windrider as others have implied as well:
    http://www.hyperlitemountaingear.com/products/packs/hmg-windrider-i-ultralight-pack.html

one way to make this lighter may be with the types of lineloks with a hook and a grosgrain loop rather than a buckle on the sides…
    maybe a loop of grosgrain on the two bag opening "corners". tie a length of paracord to this, down through the line-loks that hook to the gros-grain loops.

hope that makes sense.

i'm trying something like this for my small dry bags which don't really have the room for a roll, then clip the corners together type closure. in addition those buckles alone weigh more than a dry bag by itself.

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

My pack (2005 model SMD Comet) has a velcro roll-top closure and I loathe it! Just try to get something knit or fleece anywhere near it without snagging it on the velcro! @!#$%&!!!

Since I have never used more than an inch or two of the extension collar anyway, I'm seriously considering whacking off the velcro and making a drawcord closure instead.

Just one person's opinion here….

Rakesh Malik

@tamerlin

Locale: Cascadia

I'm with you on the velcro, honestly; I've been using my HMG Windrider as my commuting pack for a while now, and I also used it as my day pack on Kilimanjaro, and right now the velcro catching my fleece or wool is the only thing that I'd ask them to remove if I were getting another.

The rolltop + side buckles is nice though, it does ensure that the pack is waterproof.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools