Topic

Alchy Stove Recomendations for Scout Troops

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Alchy Stove Recomendations for Scout Troops

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 26 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Unlike white gas, alcohol can be extinguished with water. It's also a renewable resource.

John Jensen

@johnj

Locale: Orange County, CA

"It's also a renewable resource."

I realize this is getting off the beaten path … but I think some ethanol operations are running net-negative energy right now. They burn natural gas (or coal!) for distillation, which makes them less purely renewable.

Now, if you are fermenting freegan foodstock and distilling with waste heat .. props!

Mat Tallman

@wehtam

Locale: Midwest

It's semantics, the stoves in consideration are nothing more than homemade stoves that people are selling, they're no different than if you made a stove out of an energy drink bottle, soda can, or otherwise. Buying it doesn't make it any less dangerous in the eyes of the regulation.

Also, if you tip a canister stove, you have hot water, dangerous but not capable of lighting a person or forest on fire. Tip an alky stove, and you have hot water PLUS flaming splashing fuel. No way I'd ever put myself in that situation with a bunch of youngsters.

A canister stove with a good base is going to be the safest, imo, and as others have stated, when you're responsible for other people's kids, that's paramount.

Viewing 3 posts - 26 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools